Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe I'm missing something? Put the cow in a chute or rope the calf and go to the fire. Is there something special you need to do to these cattle in particular?

Isomade":3u4zu4lg said:
midtncattle":3u4zu4lg said:
I need to start branding my Gerts. What is easiet way to get it done?
I use an electric brander plugged to a generator.

I don't need the generator but wouldn't use anything but an electric brander.

Sorry for the poorly phrashed question. Which type of branding method do you gentleman prefer? I am not familiar with the electric brander. It does sound like a good option. How much discomfort is it on the animal?

midtncattle":ftcz25xv said:
Sorry for the poorly phrashed question. Which type of branding method do you gentleman prefer? I am not familiar with the electric brander. It does sound like a good option. How much discomfort is it on the animal?

A third degree burn is gonna hurt no matter where it comes from. You are either gonna hot brand or freeze brand. The only thing to consider is an electric iron can be used snywhere you have electricit and a regular branding iron can be used anywhere there is fire.

BTW don't kid yourself that freezebranding doesn't hurt it does.

Thanks 3way. I have always thought freeze branding was the more humane way. Guess that comes from having some stuff froze off me and it not being too painful! LOL! I would assume the electric brander is easier to maintain a consistent temperature on.

midtncattle":2435cckl said:
Thanks 3way. I have always thought freeze branding was the more humane way. Guess that comes from havinig some stuff froze off me and it not being to painful! LOL! I would assume the electric brander is easier to maintain a consistant temperature on.

Freezebranding is not as traumatic for sure. It is also not a very fast way to brand. When I have animals to freezebrand we sort them to the end. I agree with the statement on the hot iron. The temp is consistant and after some practice you will get better at applying it.

Just a tip from MY experience that electric iron is a real shocker when applied the initial response seems to temper after the tissue suffers some amount of damage. Be careful not let that first reaction make you smear the brand. I will usually try real hard to mark a spot and then go back in for the prolonged burn. I hope that makes some sense. We brand calves on a table so they don't smear too bad but an adult animal in a chute will jump pretty hard and you can smear a brand without trying too hard.

Thanks 3way. I have always thought freeze branding was the more humane way. Guess that comes from havinig some stuff froze off me and it not being to painful! LOL! I would assume the electric brander is easier to maintain a consistant temperature on.

3waycross":2gjwhm3x said:
midtncattle":2gjwhm3x said:

Freezebranding is not as traumatic for sure. It is also not a very fast way to brand. When I have animals to freezebrand we sort them to the end. I agree with the statement on the hot iron. The temp is consistant and after some practice you will get better at applying it.

Just a tip from MY experience that electric iron is a real shocker when applied the initial response seems to temper after the tissue suffers some amount of damage. Be careful not let that first reaction make you smear the brand. I will usually try real hard to mark a spot and then go back in for the prolonged burn. I hope that makes some sense. We brand calves on a table so they don't smear too bad but an adult animal in a chute will jump pretty hard and you can smear a brand without trying too hard.

Exactly !!

Don't know about your state but in SD freeze branding is NOT legal for ID purposes. Only registered hot iron brands permitted.

IIRC, renewal is every 5 yrs. I sold my brand with my cows, but I still own a couple other brands.

Don't have anything against electric branding irons, but they certainly have limitations. You must have access to electricity or pack around a generator. Then the cord on an electric would be a real pain if you didn't use a stationary calf table. I'd just as soon listen to a LP branding stove than a generator. :roll: Also used a hot iron dehorner set.

My preference for hot irons is stainless steel. Local place makes anything you need. The keep common irons like bars, quarter cirlces, etc. Special orders require a little lead time.

midtncattle":1kgku4oa said:

Do you have a state brand registry?

All our calves are branded with a fire iron when roped at branding time. All stockers are branded with an electric iron when processed through the chute. Both work just fine.

I prefer an electric brand if you have electricity close by warm up quick stays hot and I don't have to worry about keeping a fire hot if not fire brand only time I use freeze brands is on horses to me its kinda a pain in the butt to do

Mid tn looks like everybody that answered are out west there is no brand registration in TN there may be a few around here that hot brand but I don't know of any, everybody around here freeze brands. Most of it is like the thing 3 way posted I use Methanol instead of Alcohol. You still need electricity to use the clippers, clean the shaved area well with the methanol I put the iron on 1 min on cows 45-50 seconds on yearlings you need a good squeeze chute they will move a little the first 5 seconds, if your Iron comes off just add 5 seconds during the process, I spray my irons a few times while there on the animal.
Sounds like the hot iron is faster but its not done around here that I know of.

Latest posts