Branding iron

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
Once your brand is registered, where do you have it made? What does it cost on average?

Craig":4ajuecr5 said:
Once your brand is registered, where do you have it made? What does it cost on average?
We had ours made by a local blacksmith that was experienced in making them. cost 20 bucks

If you live in a rural enough of an area the local welding shop might be able to build it to. My buddy that worked on the pipe line helped me build mine out of stainless. Did that so I can fire or freeze brand, just have to sand the char off for freeze. Also might want to consider 2 sets. Smaller one for calves since it will grow with the hide and a larger one for bought animals that are done growing.

I have an electric branding iron. It cost about $100. It works good for me. Just plug it in and I don't have to worry about building a fire or having a propane fired oven to heat it up. If I remember correctly mine was made by Husky. But there are a number outfits that advertise making electric branding irons.

Dave":1rg7tgkd said:
I have an electric branding iron. It cost about $100. It works good for me. Just plug it in and I don't have to worry about building a fire or having a propane fired oven to heat it up. If I remember correctly mine was made by Husky. But there are a number outfits that advertise making electric branding irons.
mine to,, its worked great.... i just faxed him my brand design and dimensions, he did a little tweaking on it, and faxed me back.

when i got on the dairy herd buy out i just made my own with steel. made two so one would stay in the fire while i used the other could brand 2 then switch irons

I make my own, but some folks around here hit up the high school welding teacher or ag department. Good project for a high school kid. You might only have to buy the material.

Stepbystep":2v417rjw said:
What do u have your bands made out of by the high school?
Thanks
Steel. Welding project for a high school welding or ag class.

One small bit of advice... make it sturdier than you think it needs to be, a branding iron works pretty hard at the best of times and if its made to lightweight it will tend to bend when hot.

Latest posts