Brainstorm....how to drain the 10 acre bottom pasture.

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
It came to me this morning....like a revalation. I had thought to borrow the skid loader and grade the few shallow swales needed to drain water from the low areas in this 10 acre creek bottom pasture. Luckily, they are at the far end, the lowest end of the pasture, and nearest to the creek. Though there is a woven wire fence right at the lowest part of the pasture, which has become a small, shallow water hole over the winter. From there to the creek, there is only a 50 yard stretch of Ash trees and grass to get drainage to the creek.

I know I could do it with the skid steer in half a day, at the most. Here is the part that came to me in a vision. :banana: Disk the field first, dummy, and disk it deep. That way, the skid loader is only having to move loose dirt. AND, when I push the dirt uphill, to gently mound the upper wet places, that ground will already be disked and won't lead to having a hard pan under the newly placed soil. I could go one better and deep chisel the areas that will be recieving the added soil. Hmmmmm? Maybe I should do that too. I think I will. Afterall, we aren't talking about a major dirt moving project here. All I need is a Y shaped swale, to collect the drainage water and send it off to the creek. The legs of the Y only have to be a couple hundred feet long, at most.

I'll shoot some grades and start at the creek. No disking back there, too many trees and not a long enough run to worry about. I'll just dig a nice deep, sloped shouldered swale up to the woven wire fence. Then grub the bucket under the fence to allow the shallow water hole to drain. There will probably be need to put the knee high rubber boots on and do a bit of hand digging to assist the water hole in draining under the fence. Oh well, not an insurmountable task.

Once the water hole has dried up for a month or so. I'll start in with the chiseling, disking and moving dirt in the pasture. I want to have all of this done, including having totally disked the pasture by late July-early August. Then I can seed the Reed Canarygrass in late August. That will allow time enough for the disked pasture to settle some and provide a more firm seedbed for the new grass seeds. In the meantime, I'll have to sort my way through taking soil tests and applying needed lime, phosphorus and potasium. Along with deciding if I want to add some red clover to the seed mix.

By the way, I am going to use Chiefton Canarygrass from Seed Research. It is supposed to have more seedling vigor and higher yields than its parents, Palaton and Venture.

Probably be cheaper to hire someone pulling a couple of 20 yard pans. Quicker too.

Just look for the guys building chicken house pads................................

Can't completely visualize the water hole so I may be off base. But in my area the gov't frowns on draining wet spots and can cause you a bunch of trouble unless there is already a pre-existing ditch. Here, I would definitely check with the NRCS folks before I started messing with wet spots. Just my two cents.

Jogeephus":w1i7dkkd said:
Can't completely visualize the water hole so I may be off base. But in my area the gov't frowns on draining wet spots and can cause you a bunch of trouble unless there is already a pre-existing ditch. Here, I would definitely check with the NRCS folks before I started messing with wet spots. Just my two cents.

Same here. If that "wet spot" is classified as wetlands and you get caught messing it up, you're going to be in deep, deep, do-do.

NRCS guy told me that they will advise but not help financially with drainage problems.

WOW,
sad-smiley-047.gif

Draining a wetland into a creek would get you 20 years in Minnesota. :help:

I seriously doubt a 10 acre part of a pasture has been designated a wetland. :roll:

Leveling fields for increased production is done every day. They even have it down to a science with GPS technology.

If this guy thinks he can do it with a plow/disc and a skidsteer, there can't be much involved.

Heck the NRCS evens helps pay for installing drain tiles to drain fields........................

I should have been clearer in describing the water hole. Usually, there isn't any water in it to speak of, except after a heavy rain. With all the rainfall this spring, it has been holding it because the grass has grown up in the fence line and is keeping it from draining any better. All in all, it is about 60 feet long, 20 feet wide and 6 inches deep. There is an existing ditch that runs from there to the creek, but it needs a little improving too. We had to cross it with tractors a few times this spring to get the hay equipment out of the lower barn. The tires pushed up little mud dams, which further slowed the drainage. I'll put a pipe in the ditch, where the dirt road to the barn crosses it....to eliminate that problem.

There are two very shallow grass water ways, in the shape of a Y that are supposed to drain the field, down to the little water hole. The leg of the Y runs right to the water hole. From there, the water drains through the small ditch and off to the creek. The upper legs of the Y need to run farther uphill and be made deeper. And to move the resulting new dirt up to the top of the legs. At the top, are flat spots, about 75 feet in diameter that aren't draining....too flat. Need to mound them up a bit to shed the water. Now it just lays there, a couple inches deep after heavy rains, until it dries up.

Sorry for the confusion,

MikeC":1k0ga95p said:
I seriously doubt a 10 acre part of a pasture has been designated a wetland. :roll:

Leveling fields for increased production is done every day. They even have it down to a science with GPS technology.

If this guy thinks he can do it with a plow/disc and a skidsteer, there can't be much involved.

Heck the NRCS evens helps pay for installing drain tiles to drain fields........................

I'm on your side, And saying what we would have to contend with in Minnesota. Trust me, if you got caught draining into a creek that flows into the Mississippi or Minnesota rivers and the Red River of the North, could be the end of the line. We have all these designated wetlands on the ranch they take areal photos of. Really not kidding. You can't alter them in any way. On the other hand, during flood conditions, may be overlooked.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it either and am on his side too. I'm just saying I would check with the NRCS first. Most of these folks have common sense and will work with you. We also have to contend with the EPD and the GSWCC both of which can cause you a world of trouble especially the first one I mentioned. I've been there and done that and wouldn't wish that on anyone. However, according to state law, if the feds are overseeing a project then the state guys have no say in the matter. There is no harm in asking them.

MikeC":1djmih0v said:

some of or bottom land floods from creeks or the river when they over flow,, that water is going back into the water shed anyway..

Phil in Tupelo":1re1co0a said:
I have always heard that if the ground grows cattails, it maybe wetlands.

You are referring to the indicator species. The list also includes loblolly pine and slash pine. :shock: They are using a pretty broad brush in my opinion. They are supposed to look at indicator species, soil types and other things too before making the call.

Phil in Tupelo":1re1co0a said:
I don't know if the size matters are not.

In practical terms, size doesn't matter. The good thing about his situation is that there is an "existing" ditch in which case he has every right to perform maintenance on the ditch and keep it clean. Our state EPD doesn't seem to like this "exception" but that is the law. I have a bunch of CCC ditches that were installed to drain my wetlands. I make sure the NRCS personally sees these ditches before I make improvements to them and even take a few pics. Call it paranoia if you wish, but I have seen the teeth of the EPD and they are similar to those on a rabid animal. Just goes to show you what happens when you let an idiot where panties. ;-)

The federal Clean Water Act, defines wetlands as: "Those areas that are inundated or saturated by surface or ground water at a frequency and duration sufficient to support, and that under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soil conditions. Wetlands generally include swamps, marshes, bogs, and similar areas." Wetlands have all three of the following: 1) the presence of water, 2) a majority of plant species adapted to wet conditions and 3) soils types that have developed due to groundwater.

The Army Corp of Engineers generally control what is, and what is not a wetland.

Use your head . The more different parts you have on your farm the more diverse your operation can be .
Any land that catches runoff in a storm gets a coating of the soil and microbes washed out of soil at a higher level.
If the runoff is stopped for even a few minutes then some sedimentation occurs and is good for that land.

Dig down a few feet and it is in that that you have dug that all the microbial goodness is stored, and in dry times this will be where your stock will choose to eat if they can get there.

Don't destroy it , I build groins , small bumps to stop the water getting away where ever I can , and you want to throw that asset away !

Latest posts