Braford cows crossed with simm-angus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

tlsmith22

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this cross? I was thinking of breeding some nice braford cattle to a 3/4 Simm1/4 angus bull. It will be more than likely a terminal cross, maybe keeping a few heifers. I think they should have black and black white/mottled faced calves that look good and wean well. I think the mothers should be good milkers as well.

Not with a simmangus but a strait simm bull actually you may have a few keepers. out of this cross them calves should be heavy weaners,sounds like a good idea.the momas will difinitly be great milkers :hat:

Sounds like you would definitely be maximizing heterosis, but I would be a little leary of the uniformity of the calves. You could get several different colors. If you do this, let us know how it turns out on the colors and uniformity of the calves.

tlsmith22":1nif7spn said:
Has anyone tried this cross? I was thinking of breeding some nice braford cattle to a 3/4 Simm1/4 angus bull. It will be more than likely a terminal cross, maybe keeping a few heifers. I think they should have black and black white/mottled faced calves that look good and wean well. I think the mothers should be good milkers as well.

I'm just curious how/why you came up with this cross?

El_Putzo":23qok8dy said:
Sounds like you would definitely be maximizing heterosis, but I would be a little leary of the uniformity of the calves. You could get several different colors. If you do this, let us know how it turns out on the colors and uniformity of the calves.

Not picking on you James, but color isn't the only thing that defines uniformity. I know you know that, just thought I'd bring it up.
Any decient cattle buyer should be able to pick out a group of uniform calves with out baseing it on color. Not saying it always happens that way, but it should.

I really like the braford cattle. I think the ear will make them tough and resistant to most anything. The hereford will make them have a white face that is so popular in our part of the country. I think the simm-angus will produce a high weaning weight that has a good quality carcass that grades well. I am also considering this cross with Brangus cattle instead of Braford, but I would lose the white face. The white face typically will make a calf around here bring 3-5 cents more.

I understand the desire for getting the hybrid vigor, but why simangus (you said 25% angus)? That will yield a calf thats 1/8'th angus. Is it for the color?

I'd thought about crossing simangus with my brangus cows, but never thought of crossing it with a braford.

One of th drawbacks I see to this breeding is the ability to provide quality replacement heifers to the mix. Good Braford heifers are pricey, especially F-1. I will typically only be running around 50-75 mama cows.

cypressfarms":1576xm76 said:
I understand the desire for getting the hybrid vigor, but why simangus (you said 25% angus)? That will yield a calf thats 1/8'th angus. Is it for the color?

I'd thought about crossing simangus with my brangus cows, but never thought of crossing it with a braford.

Mainly for color, I like the 3/4-1/4 instead of the 1/2-1/2. I think the Simm-Angus bull would make a great calf.

certherfbeef":32f6zf6d said:
El_Putzo":32f6zf6d said:

Not picking on you James, but color isn't the only thing that defines uniformity. I know you know that, just thought I'd bring it up.
Any decient cattle buyer should be able to pick out a group of uniform calves with out baseing it on color. Not saying it always happens that way, but it should.

I agree 100% Cert. That comment didn't come out like I wanted it to. Color shouldn't matter on a group of equally good calves, but it does here. At the barn we take our calves to, that is the first thing they do is sort them by color, then by weight.

if its black white face you want why not go with brangus cow hereford bull would be cheaper,moulton stockyard is having a dispersal sale Dec. 17 that should have about what you want

ALACOWMAN":18qpyqhk said:
if its black white face you want why not go with brangus cow hereford bull would be cheaper,moulton stockyard is having a dispersal sale Dec. 17 that should have about what you want

I think that is a great cross, but I don't think you will wean anywhere near as heavy of a calf. I think you would give up around 50 or 60 lbs ww differrence. I think the Simm would really put some growth on the calf.

tlsmith22":3anmx29n said:
ALACOWMAN":3anmx29n said:

I think that is a great cross, but I don't think you will wean anywhere near as heavy of a calf. I think you would give up around 50 or 60 lbs ww differrence. I think the Simm would really put some growth on the calf.
mostly speaking about a cheaper route to a super baldy the simm on braford would wean heavier but my heavier calves came off the simbrah cows bred back to simm bull but heavier dont always bring in the bucks like im thinking the super baldy would say on a fifty pound weight differance could be a differance of 10 to 20 cents more that would still put the super ahead and your wallet

i am considering the similar cross. i have some cows with simm in them and love them. i have been using braford bulls, 5/8 hereford and 3/8 brahman. when my cows get to mostly braford put a sim-angus 1/2 amd 1/2 back on them. i am really pleased with the braford but would like some simmi in them too.
i wonder what a braford x simmental would be like?

jcarkie":1xwpfslx said:
i am considering the similar cross. i have some cows with simm in them and love them. i have been using braford bulls, 5/8 hereford and 3/8 brahman. when my cows get to mostly braford put a sim-angus 1/2 amd 1/2 back on them. i am really pleased with the braford but would like some simmi in them too.

Why is the brafords bulls not considered a good terminal sire?
Do you get any red calves? I think I need a homozygous black simm-angus bull. I believe a red gene across braford mommas will throw some red calves.

jcarkie":3tmfq1ki said:
great cross i did it several years had some great calves and some good replacements. but if you do keep the heifers don't expect them to be as good as there momas and they dont know when to stop growing.just when you think they have peaked out they will throw another few inchs in there :hat:

i am looking at heifers from this cross, i like the red better then black, so the color doesn't matter. the braford will have some red calves. if you want black you would need homozygous black. then on these braford x simmi x angus for a terminal cross i would put a char bull on them.

tlsmith22":20ixy1dg said:
jcarkie":20ixy1dg said:

Why is the brafords bulls not considered a good terminal sire?
Do you get any red calves? I think I need a homozygous black simm-angus bull. I believe a red gene across braford mommas will throw some red calves.
braford bulls are maternal sires for the most part meaning they make great momas but there steer calves take a hit. and alot of times a big hit.

tlsmith22":3vp6rjul said:
One of th drawbacks I see to this breeding is the ability to provide quality replacement heifers to the mix. Good Braford heifers are pricey, especially F-1. I will typically only be running around 50-75 mama cows.

Don't confuse Brafords with F1's. A Braford is 5/8 Herford and 3/8 Brahma. An F1 is 50/50. A lot people confuse these two.

CJ

bullred":2aptzn3s said:
tlsmith22":2aptzn3s said:

Don't confuse Brafords with F1's. A Braford is 5/8 Herford and 3/8 Brahma. An F1 is 50/50. A lot people confuse these two.

CJ
Your right about the true braford percentage but the Braford breeders assn, will let you breed the percentage acording to your area and needs im bad to call my f1s- braford mainly because the term f1 confuses a lot of people :hat:

Latest posts