boy scouts

Help Support CattleToday:

So if we quit being quitters are we still quitters because we quit? :tiphat:

hooknline":17waxxhz said:
6 years old is cub scouts, and a lot of the leaders are den mothers. Nothing wrong with that. Webelos is where he'll start. It's an awesome start to some practical knowledge. How it goes in the long term, is up to the den leaders, the Boy Scout leader, the kid and the parents. He will get out only what he puts in. That's the entire basis.
I don't personally care for the path the BSA has taken lately. Meaning the way they put so much emphasis on fund raising. And if they allow gays, I will also renounce all ties to them and send the merit badge thingy, the order of the arrow stuff, my American flag that flew over the capitol I got for getting my eagle. The whole kit and caboodle.
But....if the pack you have is a good one, and he and you both are serious about it, there isn't much better preparation for life.
Wouldn't he start as a Tiger in Cub Scouts at that age?

My son was in Cub Scouts from a Tiger and went on to Boy Scouts. Things get a little harder as they get older, they have some good ideas but only as good as the leaders. It teaches them some good things. As things got harder my son wimped out, if it interested he it was ok, but he failed to meet some of the requirements to continue on because he did not want to do them. I feel bad for not pushing the issue more but we left it up to him.

TexasBred":5yltktr3 said:
hooknline":5yltktr3 said:
6 years old is cub scouts, and a lot of the leaders are den mothers. Nothing wrong with that. Webelos is where he'll start. It's an awesome start to some practical knowledge. How it goes in the long term, is up to the den leaders, the Boy Scout leader, the kid and the parents. He will get out only what he puts in. That's the entire basis.
I don't personally care for the path the BSA has taken lately. Meaning the way they put so much emphasis on fund raising. And if they allow gays, I will also renounce all ties to them and send the merit badge thingy, the order of the arrow stuff, my American flag that flew over the capitol I got for getting my eagle. The whole kit and caboodle.
But....if the pack you have is a good one, and he and you both are serious about it, there isn't much better preparation for life.
Only fundraising I ever did as a scout was trying to raise $13.00 selling all occasion cards so I could go to summer camp. Thought I would never get those things sold. Covered a many a mile on my bike trying to sell those things....Yep...$13.00 for a whole week at camp. :nod:

Food was a lot cheaper back then. Today, you'd hit $13 on Tuesday.

My boy(actually grandson) has been in scouts since 1st grade when I signed him up for Cub Scouts. He is currently at camp for National Youth Leadership Training. He will be 14 later this month and is working on his Eagle rank.

I signed him up so I'd have help & motivation to teach him outdoor skills, and also have additional male role models in his life. His dad, our son, was in the military & unavailable. He doesn't particularly like camping but learning to be self-sufficient outdoors has been good. The leadership opportunities & training have been very valuable. I'm also hoping it will look good on college transcripts. 8)

After the story i read the other day, i would never put my son in that group-they have these adventure competitions that they are saying any kid who is so much over a certain weight will not be allowed to participate, like a 12 year old has to weigh 90 lbs any over they can't compete, sorry but some boys are bigger for their ages and I think this is just real bad of a big organization to discriminate against heavier or bigger boys-I do not believe the boy scouts is anything like it use to be. My advice to you is spend time with your son, do things together as a family and he will be better off

GMN":275b9ign said:
After the story i read the other day, i would never put my son in that group-they have these adventure competitions that they are saying any kid who is so much over a certain weight will not be allowed to participate, like a 12 year old has to weigh 90 lbs any over they can't compete, sorry but some boys are bigger for their ages and I think this is just real bad of a big organization to discriminate against heavier or bigger boys-I do not believe the boy scouts is anything like it use to be. My advice to you is spend time with your son, do things together as a family and he will be better off

You haven't seen the chart, have you? And if they're over the weight guidelines they can get a doctor waiver.

My boy is about the 95 percentile for height for an almost 14 year old. He is just over the 50 percentile for weight. So you can imagine he's a beanpole. He is actually below the lower weight limit for his age at 125 lbs! But with the doctor approval we've never had an issue with it.

Bottom line, don't take these 'news' stories at face value and make decisions based on them. Get the facts from the source, and find out why they have guidelines on weight.

You are entitled to your opinion , as am I-they should let everyone participate or no one-and parents should not have to get a doctors note to make it happen

Last group of boy scouts I saw together was about a month or so ago. Most of them looked like they had gotten early entry with the new gay acceptance policy. No muscles, no personality, snow white skin from staying indoors and on and on and on......not a decent looking kid in the group....real disheartening to see.

GMN":19fblwxc said:
You are entitled to your opinion , as am I-they should let everyone participate or no one-and parents should not have to get a doctors note to make it happen

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I just hate to see you base your opinion on limited information presented by the news. To participate in any Boy Scout camp the boys & leaders need to have an annual physical from their doctor on file. That's no different than most sports.
I just looked up the chart. Age does not come into the figure, so if you have a large 12 year old he'd probably be within the limits. I doubt a 5'8" boy over 214 lbs would be in any physical shape to go rappelling, hike 10 miles/day for a week, climb rock walls, canoe all day in 95 degree weather, bike 25 miles/day in 95 degree weather, etc.; these are all things our troop does. The boy scouts organization is just trying to limit their liability.

Latest posts