11th annual Boy Scout campout

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
We just completed our 11th annual Boy Scout campout at the ranch and two of the boys/young men shot 25 out of 25 skeet. All the hard work and training is starting to pay off even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it. We also had 6 kids catch fish for the first time in their young lives. One young man caught a 3 pound bass on an artificial and he had never even held a rod and reel before. I held a seminar on fishing hardware and techniques early Saturday morning which paid off immensely. 5 catfish over 20 lbs were landed (first time) and another 6 have a sore mouth today. Yes, drag on the reel plays an important role in landing fish and so does keeping the rod tip up to let the rod work. One ADHD/OCD kid actually caught THREE 20+ pounders. Unfortunately he didn't land any of them because of things not under his control. The important thing was he listened, followed instruction, focused and was successful in his efforts. Sure made him feel good about himself - yea, made me feel good too. Hope I'm still around for next years event.

Sounds like it was a great weekend, in many ways. I bet those kids will remember it! I bet it was nice to see the OCD/ADHD kid focus and get a few on the line.....that IS an accomplishment!

Sounds like a great time. Good of you to do that for them. BTW, I've never mentioned this but I've never held a fishing rod or have been fishing, Have always wanted to go but ...... :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":n6bv2lyy said:
Sounds like a great time. Good of you to do that for them. BTW, I've never mentioned this but I've never held a fishing rod or have been fishing, Have always wanted to go but ...... :mrgreen:

Well, that sounds like something that needs to be corrected! Next time you have an opportunity to be near Houston let me know and we will correct that fault in your character. :D

lavacarancher":2krqznnd said:
Jogeephus":2krqznnd said:

Well, that sounds like something that needs to be corrected! Next time you have an opportunity to be near Houston let me know and we will correct that fault in your character. :D

Make him show you his Boy Scout card and show up "in uniform". :mrgreen:

TexasBred":c9ws07rb said:
lavacarancher":c9ws07rb said:
Jogeephus":c9ws07rb said:

Make him show you his Boy Scout card and show up "in uniform". :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I got a mental picture of him wearing short pants with his knobby knees sticking out.

I'm afraid the polyester in my uniform might have shrunk some. :lol2:

In all seriousness, that was a good thing you did there and you probably have no clue to the huge difference you made in those kids lives. I say this because there was a kid in my troop that just made me beat my head against the wall because I felt I just couldn't get his attention and thought I was making no difference with him.

Some years later I bumped into him at the store. I didn't recognize him because he had grown so but he knew me and stopped me and thanked me for taking the effort. He apologized for being such a pain to me and thanked me for teaching him what I did because it was from my teachings that enabled him to save his little brother's life when something happened to him. He said had it not been for me and scouting his brother would have surely died. This made the years of thankless effort on my part seem like a small sacrifice on my part.

So again, good job!

Great stories and great jobs you are doing and have done with Boy Scouts. We never know what a difference we can make in a child's life when we give some of our time to help one.

Latest posts