Bout how many acres yall got?

Help Support CattleToday:

35 cows on about 70 acres of pasture on one farm and 20 cows on about 40 acres of pasture on another. More ground on both places for hay, woods, houses and barns.

150 acres of pasture, 45 cultivated acres for summer/winter grazing, around 75 acres of branches/woodland, and cut 110 acres of hay to feed and sell. All leased land. 75 momma cows. Live on 100 acre farm but I only own 2 acres out of that, dad owns the other 98. Own 26 acres of residential property. Fixing to buy one of the leased farms and I'm looking forward to it. Worked and waited a long time and luckily the owner liked the way I took care of it and offered it to me. Bank account? Negative something :bang: Wifes bra size? :nod:

Me and the bank own 210, mom and dad have 350. I do the cows together with them but we each have our on cows that run together. I have a 70 leased in, they have a little leased out. Some is pasture, some hay, and 90 is tobacco ground, some is woods and junk ground. Here it is not rude people ask all the time each other.

Suppose I never actually answered the question. Family farm is somewhere around 135 acres now. Fences deteriorated years ago so I'm slowly rebuilding, probably only have 20 fenced now. About 30 acres is leased out for row crops, another 50-60 is wooded. Pastures are pretty poor, need lime and there are places where the top soil is only a few inches thick, if that. Right now have 8 cows and the bull. Would like to add a few more, but the pasture that's lush and green now will be brown and sparse come August. Each year I add some fence and cows, but the last few years have been tough when buying.

cow pollinater":128xfqz1 said:
I'm still adjusting to that since my move. I have less than a third of the acreage I had when I left CA and am running a few more cows than I was and I have yet to see short grass. :?

You will see a difference when these spring grasses die off with the heat. Rye is already turning here.

We run a pair to 2.5 acres. We could do 1 pair/2 acres but you'll get in trouble in a dry summer. Have 20 acres of crabgrass, sewing down 8 more soon, for hay and turn cows in on some when the cool season grasses run out. Last year with timely rains we didn't have to turn the cows in but we are running 4 more pair this year and with being behind a bit in rain I can tell it.

240 at this farm and 160 at the farm we have rented out for grazing

Place I live on is 260 acres. I own 22 acres of it. My mother owns the rest.
Lampasas county place is 180 acres and in a trust to me. I pay lease on all this land.
Have 20 acres in bell county being leased to farming.
10 acres on the river at bend.

I lease a 500 acre, a 27 acre and a 65 acre place.

Lease 5000 from my grandpa. I'm going to look at another place to lease down the road in a few weeks. I'd lease way more than I already do but lease ground around here is hard to come by. Most of my neighbors are going to have to retire or get out of cows before that land will open up.

We have a section. Currently 41 cows (most with calves) on appx 320 acres, 9 retained heifers, 1 cow/calf & 2 weanlings on the east 80, 2 bulls on the west 80. Brome on about 100 acres, alfalfa around 15 acres. The rest is woods, water, limestone (there used to be a quarry) & a giant mess from the oil wells.

I have 50 acres of my own. About 35 is pasture, the balance is hard wood. I use an additional 45 acres of neighboring property and grow mainly brome grass hay, a bit of clover and 2-3 acres of ear corn there. I generally have about 8 cow/calf pairs and 2-3 yearling heifers. Strictly hobby, but it gives me a good excuse to justify buying all the farm equipment to maintain the land.

I'm a mini rancher......
20 acres total, 11-12 in pasture.
8 bred heifers, 2-2.5 yrs old.
They'll calve in September, October.
Getting a jenny donkey and a bull before long.

aaroninga":3hciqj2y said:
I'm a mini rancher......

Went through Homer about a week ago and I'd think 20 acres in that paradise would be gracious plenty for me. Beautiful country you live in for sure and from what I saw, your fields are quite large compared to the norm in that area. Do you have any apple trees?

Jogeephus":xn3s74d5 said:
aaroninga":xn3s74d5 said:
I'm a mini rancher......

Went through Homer about a week ago and I'd think 20 acres in that paradise would be gracious plenty for me. Beautiful country you live in for sure and from what I saw, your fields are quite large compared to the norm in that area. Do you have any apple trees?

Thanks Jo
You didn't blink going through town or ya would've missed it.
I do like it up here, not too far and not to close to the populated area for work.
I plated a couple apple trees for the grandkids but no apples :-(
Jo, if I remember right you're in middle or south Georgia?
I went to the farm expo in Moultrie a few years ago. BIG farms down there.

ga.prime":2bx3f6sr said:
Homer's a bit different than Homerville, eh Jo? :D

Sure is. Beautiful country that is.

aaroninga":2bx3f6sr said:
Jo, if I remember right you're in middle or south Georgia?
I went to the farm expo in Moultrie a few years ago. BIG farms down there.

I'm in the south part between Okefenokee swamp and Moultrie. There are some big farms here but its flat a a pie plate and not much to see. I was born and raised in the same topographical area as you live in and love that landscape and climate. I actually own a small farm about 50 miles from you not far from Seneca SC. Always wanted to hang my hat there but life said otherwise. If I have my history right, the farming in that area was modeled more on the German and Swiss method which I think is better all the way around but it doesn't lend itself to corporate farming like is being done here more and more. But, IMO, the quality of life is better using the non-corporate model. IMO, you are very blessed.

Latest posts