Bought some F1 Charbray

Help Support CattleToday:

There were many factors at play in ruining a yard here, but the owner of the yard and the ringman bidding seemed to upset the most people.

Bigfoot said:
There were many factors at play in ruining a yard here, but the owner of the yard and the ringman bidding seemed to upset the most people.

It is actually against the rules in Washington. The auctioneer and/or ringmen get fined if caught doing it. Of course the WSDA enforcement people are never there and if they do show up they get recognized quickly and the activity stops before they can witness it.

those guys get calls all the time,"" if you see some good pairs run through, bid on them for me..or I'm looking for a certain bull"" you know the range Im willing to pay ..a lot can't be there..those guys don't want to get stuck with them,and won't ..they'll go somewhere, or be rerun later ..

I'm getting some more from this guy in early april. His fall born calves. Were gonna weigh them, and go with the stockyard price. It's hard to get F1 anything around here. I think I'll strike while the iron is hot.

Bigfoot said:
I'm getting some more from this guy in early april. His fall born calves. Were gonna weigh them, and go with the stockyard price. It's hard to get F1 anything around here. I think I'll strike while the iron is hot.
You going to breed them in the fall or wait until next spring?

Lazy M said:
Bigfoot said:
You going to breed them in the fall or wait until next spring?

It'll be a wait and see how long, before they reach sexual maturity. I;ve seen cattle with this much ear, take almost 2 years to cycle.

Bigfoot said:
It'll be a wait and see how long, before they reach sexual maturity. I;ve seen cattle with this much ear, take almost 2 years to cycle.
Me too Bigfoot. I've got an F1 Brahman/Hereford heifer I raised. She turned 2 last week. She had her first calf yesterday. I knew she was close bc she was springing heavy. But I was pleasantly surprised that she calved at 2! I really like your new Charbrays. They look dang good to me.

JMJ Farms said:
Bigfoot said:
Me too Bigfoot. I've got an F1 Brahman/Hereford heifer I raised. She turned 2 last week. She had her first calf yesterday. I knew she was close bc she was springing heavy. But I was pleasantly surprised that she calved at 2! I really like your new Charbrays. They look dang good to me.

Saw one in heat today, kinda surprised me. I start breeding May 15th.

Bigfoot said:
JMJ Farms said:
Bigfoot said:

Saw one in heat today, kinda surprised me. I start breeding May 15th.

Cycling at 10 months is dang good for eared F1s. Them there is the real mothering kind :tiphat:

Bigfoot said:
Not to start a riot, but I would normally breed my heifers to a LH or corriente. "If" i can find one, I'm breeding to a jersey this year. Prolly have all steers, but hoping for heifers.

I'm questioning your thinking here. Why not a nice Angus, Hereford or Simmental bull? You starting a dairy that sells freezer beef?

Bestoutwest said:
Bigfoot said:
Not to start a riot, but I would normally breed my heifers to a LH or corriente. "If" i can find one, I'm breeding to a jersey this year. Prolly have all steers, but hoping for heifers.

I'm questioning your thinking here. Why not a nice Angus, Hereford or Simmental bull? You starting a dairy that sells freezer beef?

I take my knocks here all the time, for the way I breed heifers. It's what I do. I wont be changing. I'll listen to advice though.

Bigfoot said:
I take my knocks here all the time, for the way I breed heifers. It's what I do. I wont be changing. I'll listen to advice though.

It's what it is. Anytime you do something different everyone questions you. My problem with running a jersey bull is the attitude and the time to mature. Other than that, good luck!

Snapped a pic of some of them this evening. Gonna be big cows. All are well north of 1150 pounds. Couple go way over that. After all the talk of how I would breed them, I ended up breeding them to my number 2 herd bull.

MurraysMutts said:
Nice. Growing well. Looking good in that pic.
So what exactly is your number 2 herd bull?

Heterozygous black beefmaster. Less than desirable, but decent track record on throwing small calves. I think these heifers will be 1400 pounds when they calve.

There were some nice Charbray heifers at the barn today. They were in demand as well . Three F-1 Brahman/Jerseys heifers came through today I got one.
I plan to put a Manso Brahman on my Brimmer cross girls next year.
Neighbor and I have 30+ girls to use him on to make replacements with.

I have a couple I plan this type being the replacements going forward .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lLrcNpwgk

Caustic Burno said:
There were some nice Charbray heifers at the barn today. They were in demand as well . Three F-1 Brahman/Jerseys heifers came through today I got one.
I plan to put a Manso Brahman on my Brimmer cross girls next year.
Neighbor and I have 30+ girls to use him on to make replacements with.

I have a couple I plan this type being the replacements going forward .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lLrcNpwgk

I've always loved that cross. Just not available here. Offered a time or two to get an Amish dairy to let me supply the semen to breed their cows with. I'd take the heifers and bulls alike. Never would do it.

J and J usually puts a group together once a year or so. He has access to some good cattle.
Lot of dairies out that way.
Couple years ago someone put together a group of F1 Brahman/Guernsey those some good looking girls.
That Jersey F1 has longevity, good udders and will raise a calf to mash the scales.
It's a smart cross for the dairy guys to get a premium just not enough jersey out there to make it common.

Latest posts