Bought some F1 Charbray

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
6 total. I wouldn't call these heifers the top of the mark, but I've wanted some F1 charbray for a while. There out of a nice set of charlois cows, and a red brahma bull. Not in too deep on them, about $100 over market price. About 10 months old. The majority of the heifers I kept from my herd this year were red/yellow, so they'll blend in to some extent. There'll be plenty of negative comments, but hopefully they'll quench my thirst for some, and it'll be out my system now.

I don't see anything wrong with it, of course I have a soft spot for ear cattle, and have a history with Charolais as well. Had an old friend that was a fellow Charolais breeder down in south eastern KY, he was having some AI work done and they had a mix up on some straws. Turns out to have been Brahman bull. He got one of those F1 Charbray heifers out of it. He kept her and said she was the best cow he had.

Ky hills said:
I don't see anything wrong with it, of course I have a soft spot for ear cattle, and have a history with Charolais as well. Had an old friend that was a fellow Charolais breeder down in south eastern KY, he was having some AI work done and they had a mix up on some straws. Turns out to have been Brahman bull. He got one of those F1 Charbray heifers out of it. He kept her and said she was the best cow he had.

This guy has a registered herd. He's the kind of guy, that it's hard to follow him when he's talking. He had some 16-18 month old heifers there, but he was twice the price on them. I got time, and no money so I passed on those. Not sure how he's breeding this spring. much talk of AI, nice charlois bull there, and the daddy to these calves still on site. I'd like a crack at some more next year, but I just couldn't get a handle on what hes doing.

Bigfoot said:
6 total. I wouldn't call these heifers the top of the mark, but I've wanted some F1 charbray for a while. There out of a nice set of charlois cows, and a red brahma bull. Not in too deep on them, about $100 over market price. About 10 months old. The majority of the heifers I kept from my herd this year were red/yellow, so they'll blend in to some extent. There'll be plenty of negative comments, but hopefully they'll quench my thirst for some, and it'll be out my system now.

Dem is right nice!
Be proud to have em!
The thirst is far from quenched tho... u know that right?
Gotta get em bred and get dem babies to show off!

So last year I bid on a 400 pound braford. Boy was she pretty!!
No one wanted her. I bid.
The man in the ring bid.
He bought her. That crap dont fly w me...

Bigfoot said:

Nice

MO-Ruminants said:
Do you expect the 1/4 ear market calves to do well in your area?

never had a major problem in the past (as long as the naval was short). Sold my weaned calves to an individual last year, instead of the yard, and he never even brought it up. Hoping I can go that route this year.

Not to start a riot, but I would normally breed my heifers to a LH or corriente. "If" i can find one, I'm breeding to a jersey this year. Prolly have all steers, but hoping for heifers.

Boy them are slick I love the beef master cattle but man do they knock us in our area for the big ear and the floppy skin. But from what I see they will wean 75 to 100 pounds heavier than an angus straight bred calf. I know these aren't beef master but just reminded me of how much I like them.

Ky is not normally an area for eared cattle, but always thought if you sold the 800 - 900 lb calves during late spring early summer they might do well. I hope they make good cows.

MurraysMutts said:
Bigfoot said:

Dem is right nice!
Be proud to have em!
The thirst is far from quenched tho... u know that right?
Gotta get em bred and get dem babies to show off!

So last year I bid on a 400 pound braford. Boy was she pretty!!
No one wanted her. I bid.
The man in the ring bid.
He bought her. That crap dont fly w me...

I was under the impression that was the reason they have auction sales, to discover price.............

Bigfoot said:
Not to start a riot, but I would normally breed my heifers to a LH or corriente. "If" i can find one, I'm breeding to a jersey this year. Prolly have all steers, but hoping for heifers.

:lol: You don't have to do be that scared .... at the very least use an angus or Hereford.

Most of those guys will buy for other customers too.are have someone in mind..not to just run the price up..though that's part of it..gotta hit a base price somewhere.. they ain't gonna give her too you either :cowboy:

So if they were your own cattle in the ring you wouldn't want the sale yard to get you all your cattle were worth? That is what you pay them a commission for.

Market price is market price, if you don't know what that is you should get someone to order buy for you.

Haha.
I get all that. I really do. I wasnt even there to buy anything.
But this particular instance was totally artificial.
Would be different if he actually intended to buy. His only intent was to run the price up.
It's ok.
He got an A for effort.
And a D fer derrrr

Latest posts