Bought my first place

Help Support CattleToday:

Congratulations on your purchase!! Very exciting to see your dreams begin to manifest!

There's one pond on it now. I grew up running all over this property it joins my parents place. I've caught some of the biggest fish out of this little cow pond that's not 45 ft across. There's a few spots for another pond to help with cross fencing. What's the best way to run a line out of the existing pond for a water tank would like to fence them out of it once I get it dipped out and cleaned up

Ky cowboy":1n9x8uij said:
Put in an offer and they accepted it. 35 acres with only 5 in woods. They planted it in corn this year for the 1st time so I'll haved to reseed everything to grass. Thinking about planting some of it in a summer annual to graze while I work on the back side it needs lots of fence work and general clean up. I've always leased ground looking forward to be able to do as I please with it, just nervous about paying for it. I have about 20 heifers I plan to move to it and calf out there. I'm going with a fsa loan I think 3.75% locked for the term with 0 down. Has any of you ever used fsa loans before they said it could take up to 3 months to get it all done.

Im late to the thread but I have also received a fsa loan you want find a better interest rate imho, how long does take for the funds well took me 6 months due to a lack of funds so i had to wait for more funding remind you this was arou d gov shutdown. But congrats.

It is going to cost more so might not fit your budget. Tornado barb wire is superior to anything on the market.

I plan using woven wire on 1 field thats around 7 acres. My kids have sheep, so I'm going to do at least some in woven wire for them. What's the advantage to tornadoe wire? There's a wholesaler close for treated fence post I'm going to do some checking with them, and prolly use a lot of cedar. Also I know a guy that can get rail road ties for $5 each

Ky cowboy":j568s1td said:
There isn't a house just an older barn that's still in ok shape. Wife is already picking out house plans but that'll be a few years down the road. I'll still keep some cows on my lease and I'm always trying to find some more to lease. The main thing it needs is a lot of chainsaw work and new fencing.
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?
Many don't like it but I've always preferred the little motto barb wire. It cheap. lasts forever, and it stays sharp.

Lazy M":xyy9tb5z said:
Ky cowboy":xyy9tb5z said:
There isn't a house just an older barn that's still in ok shape. Wife is already picking out house plans but that'll be a few years down the road. I'll still keep some cows on my lease and I'm always trying to find some more to lease. The main thing it needs is a lot of chainsaw work and new fencing.
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?
Many don't like it but I've always preferred the little motto barb wire. It cheap. lasts forever, and it stays sharp.
It's the same as Gaucho isn't it? Bekaert's brand that is made for export and in some cases, made under license in Peru and Hong Kong?
http://livestockequineequipment.hutchis ... Barbed.pdf

"Bekaert ZA is made from the same high tensile steel as our industry
leading Gaucho , Motto , and Cattleman high tensile barbed
wire.
Bekaert ZA like all other Bekaert high tensile barbed wire
has equal or greater strength than standard 12.5g barbed wire."

Just signed papers today. Its officially ours. FSA was slow and needed everything from college transcripts to the normal paperwork, took l ok anger than expected but it's done. Some of the delay was my fault, working lots of hours and trying to run forms back and forth. Start cleaning burning and disking this weekend weather permitting

First 10 mins bushogging corn stubble on my new place and the ta goes out of my 1086. Not the start I was looking for. Found a guy to fix it but he goes in the hospital for stints tomorrow, he thinks he'll be ready to work on it in a week or 2. Labor and parts he said around $2500.

Ky cowboy":295x11ka said:
First 10 mins bushogging corn stubble on my new place and the ta goes out of my 1086. Not the start I was looking for. Found a guy to fix it but he goes in the hospital for stints tomorrow, he thinks he'll be ready to work on it in a week or 2. Labor and parts he said around $2500.
Things get real real fast don't they? Congrats on the purchase. Buying land is always good.

Ky cowboy":2dbyiah6 said:

I started out 40 years ago with what everybody else used. After a few years of that I stumbled across Gaucho and liked it's ligher weight (high tensile 15 ½ GA. vs 12 for regular wire), the sharpness of the barbs, even after 30+ years, the non stretch characteristics, and the Zinc coating they use. I have Gaucho fence that is over 30 years old and still has the Zinc coating.

Get this, I had some wooden posts rotting away and decided to have the "mainstays" replaced with steel pipe. So I had a guy come in and do that for me. Get this: He took the Gaucho off and laid it to the side, replaced the main stay posts and put the Gaucho back up!!!!!!!!!

Getting a little late in spring for my liking to plant pasture, I've always preferred fall anyways. So I think I might plant some soybeans and millet for hay. We have a diskbine and have a guy we rent a wrapper from. We did this once before made some real good feed. I'd love to put it up dry but realistically it'll prolly have to be wrapped.

Latest posts