Bought my first place

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Put in an offer and they accepted it. 35 acres with only 5 in woods. They planted it in corn this year for the 1st time so I'll haved to reseed everything to grass. Thinking about planting some of it in a summer annual to graze while I work on the back side it needs lots of fence work and general clean up. I've always leased ground looking forward to be able to do as I please with it, just nervous about paying for it. I have about 20 heifers I plan to move to it and calf out there. I'm going with a fsa loan I think 3.75% locked for the term with 0 down. Has any of you ever used fsa loans before they said it could take up to 3 months to get it all done.

yes i have. good times, but slow. luckly the land has been there for thousands of years and will still be there n six months. good idea to get locked in before rates go back up. congrats

I don't plan on bringing cattle over for a while I have access to another farm where they will stay until I'm set up. The ones I bring are just yearlings. Get everything set up the way I want it. Plan on just using the front part for few months while I work on the rest might even have it row cropped then I can seed in the fall, seems I always have better luck seeding in the fall

Congrats! I've always figured that being nervous about something like that was a sign that I had at least a little bit of common sense.

congrats.

let the seller know you'll be trying to get an fsa loan and how long it might take. hopefully they'll understand.

ddd75":rnxw5md1 said:
congrats.

let the seller know you'll be trying to get an fsa loan and how long it might take. hopefully they'll understand.

He said as long as we had a contract be was fine with it

Ky cowboy":2awquc79 said:
I've always leased ground looking forward to be able to do as I please with it, just nervous about paying for it. I have about 20 heifers I plan to move to it and calf out there.

Congratulations on buying land. Is there a house, and will you live there also? Or is this land just for grazing cattle?

Will you still keep some cattle at your leased land after you move the 20 heifers?

I hope everything goes well for you.

Congrats. We tried for an fsa a couple years ago. Only took about a month to go through the process. We were declined because they didn't like my taxes.... I'm glad we were too considering the current price of cattle.

There isn't a house just an older barn that's still in ok shape. Wife is already picking out house plans but that'll be a few years down the road. I'll still keep some cows on my lease and I'm always trying to find some more to lease. The main thing it needs is a lot of chainsaw work and new fencing.
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?

Ky cowboy":s60k3sxu said:
There isn't a house just an older barn that's still in ok shape. Wife is already picking out house plans but that'll be a few years down the road. I'll still keep some cows on my lease and I'm always trying to find some more to lease. The main thing it needs is a lot of chainsaw work and new fencing.
Any recommendations on barb wire. We always used the gaucho wire and redbrand woven wire. Is there anything better that's not thru the roof?

That will be nice when you can build your house there.

I think that Gaucho wire is pretty cheap. It's $40 for 1,320 feet at Tractor Supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=IOPDP2

Ky cowboy":2wu9fkqw said:
I don't plan on bringing cattle over for a while I have access to another farm where they will stay until I'm set up. The ones I bring are just yearlings. Get everything set up the way I want it. Plan on just using the front part for few months while I work on the rest might even have it row cropped then I can seed in the fall, seems I always have better luck seeding in the fall
you get a good root system planted in the fall....spring planting can be risky,once it germinates it could dry up on you..leaving a sparse stand....

Yes have bought 2 farms with fsa loans. Had no real problems, a lot of the easy vs long drawn out ordeal depends on the loan officer. Done several eqt. and operating loans through the beginning farmer program, I have one year left. Feel free to pm me with any questions. Congrats on having your own place.

What is the water source ? I like the gaucho wire . A little tuff to work with but when your done cows will stay in ! Congrats on the new farm . rj

Latest posts