Susie David

Reaction score
Sugarscalf030e.jpg

Sugarscalf029e.jpg

Sugarscalf028e.jpg

Just thought that I'd share
Expecting rain...finally.
Dave Mc

Looks like they are going to finish out real well. I imagine you are going to have some happy customers.

His going to finish out well. He looks like he may have some Maine/Limi Blood in he. So what is he ????

Don't want to be too negative, but in my end of the world that calf would be discounted at the sale barn for being boderline double muscled. We need muscling in cattle , but do not get carried away.

hey dont get too carried away. this calf could quite easily have some limo or some blonde or something in it. maybe pied/belg.

but double muscling is a possibility. magnificent looking animals though. i remember seeing a murray grey here with double muscling. looked amazing with the silver coat.

The calf is out of our old Boss Cow....F1 baldy and a older Lim bull straw with a high CED and good growth.
This just may be her last calf...still healthy and in good condition but is old and lost a worn down tooth the other day so it will be leafy alfalfa or the sale barn....still haven't made up our mind; though she has been covered by our new Lim bull...maybe one more time.
Dave mc

BC":2zy1oquo said:
Don't want to be too negative, but in my end of the world that calf would be discounted at the sale barn for being boderline double muscled. We need muscling in cattle , but do not get carried away.

Just wondering why.
I thought muscle was meat.

BC said:
Don't want to be too negative, but in my end of the world that calf would be discounted at the sale barn for being boderline double muscled. We need muscling in cattle , but do not get carried away.[/quot

Just shows what 500 hundred miles difference will make....That calf would top the market at the sale barns or with order buyers here......Cant beat those old Limi bloodlines for a good cross calf with a lot of meat. Just wish I could say the same for the newer bloodlines, they leave a lot to be desired....What Limi bull is this calf out of

That round, quarterhorse looking rump is not what the buyers I know want.

The statement of being from some old Limi semen explained the double muscled look. Double muscled calves will not fatten or grade. Their rate of gain is also lower. That is why the buyers shun away from those type calves.

With Dave selling grass finished cattle directly to the public, it really doesn't matter what an order buyer wants. I imagine there will be some added lean ground beef coming off those hindquarters and I think that's probably what he's looking for.JMO

Joe....you got that right...we sell lean red meat. The higher yield the better the customer likes it. Can't seem to grind enough 90% lean ground beef to keep up with the demand.

Our new bull is a what we've been looking for...may change his name to Chevy....as in '64 Chevy rag top....long, low and wide.
We'll see next winter...should start calving in late Jan.
DMc

I think he is a fine looking calf and looking to improve the hind ends on my cattle as much as possible too...We are in the beef business and like you to Dave our customers like lean ground beef...steaks and hamburger, a couple roasts *maybe*

Looks good :D

Grand kids name them, usually as soon as they hit the straw. They get to take turns, just have to stick with the year and letter. Oh yeah, we don't follow the Associations year/name guidelines, kind of hard for a little one to think up names with some of the letters. All of the claves have a friend or classmate of the grandkids with the same name and besides....the herd book doesn't care if it is a name or a number. DMc