Border Coll. OR Aus. SHep

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH":2gl5yne3 said:
KenB":2gl5yne3 said:
MillIronQH":2gl5yne3 said:
I couldn't resist this link especially the first pic in the third row.Z

http://www.geocities.com/monaghancataho ... _home.html

That looks like a pit bull.

Not in this lifetime... Pure Louisiana Catahoula. There is no.. repeat no pit in them.Z

Lacy-703.jpg

HawkBeau-BayPen.jpg

A pit bull is a target.
A Cat cur is one heck of a stock dog nothing better for rough stock.

We called em leopard dogs . Worked them from lake jackson to matagorta when I was young. They would bring every cow out every time. Some people called them La cow hog dogs.

They both are great breeds of dogs but if you can't decide I would try getting a mix of the two. My dog is a border colliex australian shepard mix. She listens to directions very well and she is a great herder. But you want to be careful because although they are a mix they can still be on the crazy side.

Copeman... That depends on area and personal preference. In the Brush Country, along the coast and in East Texas You probably see more Cats then anything else. Central and West Texas more heelers and the Aussies in the north. The Aussies are long haired and don't hold up to the heat as well. Both the Aussies and the Heelers are better in more open country because they depend on seeing their handlers and really don't have much of a nose on them. Catahoulas are the hunters. They'll go find the cattle and put them in a ball and hold them until you can get there.Z

novatech":i0fcdy85 said:
We called em leopard dogs . Worked them from lake jackson to matagorta when I was young. They would bring every cow out every time. Some people called them La cow hog dogs.

That is some interesting country to work cattle, spent a lot of time on the old West Ranch along the Armand Bayou and Dickinson bay country.

Latest posts