Boarding Contract

Help Support CattleToday:

Horse Guy

Reaction score
Boarding Contract
Could any of you post a copy of a good boarding contract that somewhat protects a guy from these people who dont want to pay what they agreed to pay?
Im thinking about boarding other peoples horses. Dont know if I should though? Seems I hear all the time in magazines or online about problems with clients not paying. I know in my area not many people board horses and if they do its expensive. Example $150 a month and you feed/take care of your own horse.
The money is there. Course if they dont pay you and if you end up with people on your place at all hours and if stuff starts disapering then its not very profitable.
Have any of you had good experiences boarding horses?

There are sample forms at this site: http://www.stablewise.com/forms.htm

You can also google "free horse boarding contracts", "free horse liability release forms", "free horse business contracts" and you will get many other links.

We have allowed 4-H members to keep their projects at our place for free. This is our policy and procedure form which must be signed by both 4-H member and parent. I know that it isn't exactly a horse boarding agreement, but it may give you some ideas of what you want to implement.
We put the limitation on visitors because this is at our home. We've been robbed in the past. :(

**** Farm Policies and Procedures

Compliance with the following rules and procedures are required of all 4-H members who use the facilities belonging to (owner's, physical location of facilities).

1. Hours at **** Farm are 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or daylight hours. If youth needs to care for animal before or after these hours, (owner's name) should be notified prior to the occasion and parent or guardian must be present at the barn with the project owner.

2. (Owner's name) and/or any of their children or relatives will not be responsible for injury to or death of any project or persons. All persons connected with a project or other youth must display the highest degree of professionalism in an effort to prevent adverse circumstances.

3. A five mile an hour speed limit applies to all vehicles entering and leaving the premises from the time they enter the property.

4. This is a No Smoking facility.

5. Project owner, Parents and/or Guardians will be financially responsible for the animal(s) at the facility. This includes but is not limited to required veterinary services, shavings, feed and necessary equipment to feed and maintain the animal project.

6. The project owner is responsible for maintaining adequate feeding and show supplies.

7. Animal will be fed and watered twice daily and stall or pen will be cleaned daily by the project owner. Wheel barrow, fork and rakes will be provided.

8. Animal will be stalled or penned, with the understanding that it may be moved during feeding times by facility owners if the space is required for facility owners' animals. No pasture or grazing will be provided. (This is if the animal is stalled and we need to use the stall to feed a horse. The animal is moved to the run outside the stall while the horse eats and then allowed back into the stall.)

9. No electricity will be provided for fans. If fans are needed, there will be a fee charged.

10. Only project owner, immediate family and sponsor are allowed at the facility. If project owner has any visitors to the facility, facility owner will be contacted prior to the visit. Visitors must follow guidelines.

11. (owner's name), and relatives are not liable for any injuries, or damaged/stolen property while at the facility.

12. Animal to be removed within 2 weeks of 2006 Fair's end (Oct. 15, 2006) or upon notice from facility owner.

I Have Read and Understand The **** Farm Rules and Guidelines.

4-H
Member_____________________________________________________________________________________
Print Name Signature Date
Parent/
Guardian____________________________________________Witness:____________________________________
Signature & Date

Address:______________________________________________________________________________________

Contact
Numbers______________________________________________________________________________________
Home Cell Other

Horse Guy":o713i9ij said:
Have any of you had good experiences boarding horses?

Yes. We've been boarding horses for the last 6 years or so, and have had no problems for the most part. The vast majority of our boarders are college kids, but we have had a number of older boarders as well. We've been burned a time or two as far as non-payment goes, and we've had a few not live up to their end of keeping stalls/runs clean, but most of the time things have gone as they should have. I would suggest you require a deposit so if someone does take their horse out without cleaning their run, your time is covered. We have had very few problems with things "walking" off. The only written contract we have is a waiver of responsibility should someone get hurt while riding their horse on our property. Everything else is an oral contract. The rules are explained at the time the horse comes in, and they are enforced. I hope this helps.

As a person that has only boarded horses, meaning never ran a boarding facility, my horses are at my place now...that's as clear as mud :roll: .

Anyway.... to add to the great posts already posted, some problems I have had at boarding facilities are, folks sitting around drinking beer all day and riding or working horses drunk. Arenas and round pens used as turnouts and not worked (holes, piles of hay and full of manure). Folks comming down at all hours and turning on lights, distrupting horse rest time. Horses not cared for and getting sick...spreading to other horses. Folks dipping into my grain and hay. Broken or misplaced picks or wheel barrows left full. Horses left cross tied in teh isle for hours.... while having a couple of beers with the buds.

Those are a few I have ran into, the key is a well managed barn where the rules are inforced. These barns had problems.

Alan

The only time we've boarded horses is when a mare is left here for breeding...full care room and board...lol.

Otherwise,

Any boarding agreement should contain (among other ranch specific things):
  • 1. Monthly board, prorated per deim for more/less than month.
    2. Visitor's hours.
    3. Release of liability (cf: your State's Equine Law).
    4. Specify if FULL CARE or Owner Care.
    5. Name of emergency contacts, Vet contact, etc. and authorization to call/treat by Vet for any illness, injury, etc.
    6. Type and amount of feed/hay,etc. (You supply or they supply).
    7. Payable ONE MONTH in advance, each month.
    8. Failure to pay: "Mechanic's Lein on the Animal".
    9. Barn rules, etc.
    10. Agreement signed by someone Legally authorized to sign.
    11. Photo of animal upon arrival. Photo of animal upon departure.
    12. Agreement states something like "I agree to the above terms and conditions of this boarding agreement and AGREE TO PAY all charges before horse is removed from XYZ facility.
    13. Copy of vaccination recoreds, Coggins document.
    14. Amount $$ of boarding fee.
    15. Stall time, turnout time, etc.
    16. Extra charges for any needed grooming, hoof care, training, etc. Payable at end of month along with next month's boarding charge in advance.

In sum, there is a LOT of liability and potential issues when boarding anyone's animal. Also, can be a lot of issues, disagreements between facility and the owner of animal. Be prepared to deal with it all.

Great ideas! I've boarded a couple of horses for friends and have never had a problem but I could see the potential for problems. I will check out those websites as my husband and I have thought about boarding more horses. For those who board at someone else's place...what kind of facilities do you look for-do you need a covered arena, or just an open one; access to trails, pasture, etc.?

Latest posts