Board for cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
I have a herd of 20 cows. My brother has 5 cows. His plan is to combine his 5 cows with my 20 cows and make one herd. We would combine my land and his for the whole herd. The catch is that I get to do all the day to day work with them that needs doing, since I live on the place and he lives in town. My first thought is to sort his cows onto his part of the place, and let him sink or swim.

Seems to me that he at least owes me something for taking care of his cows, but I'm having a problem deciding what or how much.

Any thoughts? :???:

ok do yall own 2 differant farms side by side.if so youll be getting the use of his land for taking care of his cows.5 cows isnt that much work or time.an thats only 20 to 25 bales of hay.an you tend them when you do yours.if iot doesnt work you can pen them back on his place.

I'm not quite understanding the problem here. Are you asking how much your labor is worth? Will you be buying feed for the cows or will the cows be grazing? What labor is involved? I mean, when it comes time to vaccinate, or worm, or whatever, wouldn't he be willing to come help you? He's your brother! As irritated as I get with my brother, I don't think I'd charge him a daily rate to keep an eye on his 5 head on combined land. BTW, what do you mean by combined land? Wouldn't that mean that you would have extra land for your 20 head? Or, is this a trick whole question a trick question...like a joke, or something. :?

Alice

Here's some math for you, but you may not like the answer.... The numbers will differ in your location, but you will get the drift.

$10 per cow per month for grazing on your place and you watching over them.
Add cost of hay in the winter.
Add cost of feed and mineral.
Add cost of working calves and cattle, if he doesn't help.
Add cost of vet, if required.
Add cost of wormer and meds.
Subtract the value of a lease on his property - here it would be about $15 to $20 per acre per year.

I'd say if he lets you use over about 30 acres, I would do it for free and be happy about it. But in any case, I would let him pay a prorata share of all out of pocket expenses for the combined herd, feed, vet, hay, mineral, wormer, med, etc...

On a personal note, I'd be thrilled if I had close family to do this with. Your relationship with your brother is far more important than taking care of 5 cows for him and nit-picking over the value. Don't do that.

skyline":3owq1613 said:
Your relationship with your brother is far more important than taking care of 5 cows for him and nit-picking over the value. Don't do that.
Yeah.... I read that post and I thought "He is saying "No fair" and they are only in the planning stages."

He is your brother, throw them in with yours and work for his success just as you do for your own ~ or stop before you start.

angie":298f49wa said:
skyline":298f49wa said:
Your relationship with your brother is far more important than taking care of 5 cows for him and nit-picking over the value. Don't do that.
Yeah.... I read that post and I thought "He is saying "No fair" and they are only in the planning stages."

He is your brother, throw them in with yours and work for his success just as you do for your own ~ or stop before you start.

I vote for the stop before you start part.

Wish I could run some of my cattle on someone else's land, i'll tend to double the number cows I have on that land including expenses for free and still be better off.

Thanks.

No, he is not willing to come and help if needed. His plan is to have the 5 cows and just sit back and let the money come rolling in. He figures there's nothing to do until it's time to sell the calves. He had a few cows about 25 years ago, and they darn near starved to death because he didn't realize that they needed to have something to eat. This is his history in dealing with most things he tries. As an example, stocking a pond with catfish and setting up a feeder to automatically feed them. Well, a feeder full of feed lasts about a week. I've been feeding them for the past 2 months (so far) while the feeder is empty. Just waiting to see how long it's going to take before he happens to think of filling it.

Our land adjoins each other. I really don't need his part of it, which is about 25 acres. So from that angle we'd only be dealing with about $500/year.

Anyway, it's something of a principle involved here for me. Having any kind of a decent relationship with him is waaay down on my list of important stuff to do. He is and always has been concerned for himself only, to heck with everybody else.

And the beat goes on............

I think I'll opt for the stop before we start, too.

Jim62":2u69gs75 said:
Thanks.

No, he is not willing to come and help if needed. His plan is to have the 5 cows and just sit back and let the money come rolling in. He figures there's nothing to do until it's time to sell the calves. He had a few cows about 25 years ago, and they darn near starved to death because he didn't realize that they needed to have something to eat. This is his history in dealing with most things he tries. As an example, stocking a pond with catfish and setting up a feeder to automatically feed them. Well, a feeder full of feed lasts about a week. I've been feeding them for the past 2 months (so far) while the feeder is empty. Just waiting to see how long it's going to take before he happens to think of filling it.

Our land adjoins each other. I really don't need his part of it, which is about 25 acres. So from that angle we'd only be dealing with about $500/year.

Anyway, it's something of a principle involved here for me. Having any kind of a decent relationship with him is waaay down on my list of important stuff to do. He is and always has been concerned for himself only, to heck with everybody else.

Jim,

If half what you said is true...
Run. We all have people in our family you cant have a deal with.
Life is to short.
Move on, but you knew that before you posted?

What really puzzles me is why have you had to feed for the past 2 months in Fayette county Texas. I am not far from you and only the people that are over stocked have had to feed. Most around here have grass knee deep.
As far as your question, I believe you already know the results if you combine but if you don't you will probably take care if his cattle anyway. Sounds to me like you need to have a hart to hart talk.

novatech":1r5bfc6v said:
What really puzzles me is why have you had to feed for the past 2 months in Fayette county Texas. I am not far from you and only the people that are over stocked have had to feed. Most around here have grass knee deep.
As far as your question, I believe you already know the results if you combine but if you don't you will probably take care if his cattle anyway. Sounds to me like you need to have a hart to hart talk.

He is talking about feeding catfish in a pond with an empty feeder!

I would avoid this if possible.Way too many pitfalls in this situation. But since I do not know all of your extended family dynamics if you feel you must proceed, do a double lease. You lease his land at fair market value and then lease his cows at 25% of the calves to him and the balance of 75% to you. That way he gets compensated for his land and you get the calf income for your extra work. Get it written and signed and everyone can have a chance at being happier. Good luck and I hope it all works out okay.

You and your brother have a lot more problems in life than cows. No sense compounding them any further.......

Life is to short for this stuff.

I think not. If he is not willing to help out and pay for his part.
We take care of all 3 of our sons cows. The oldest has 5 the middle one has 24 and the younest has 4. They all pay for hay and feed. And some on one of the leases. They don't live close by so no they are not here to help with anything. But when they come home they are out first thing in the mornings checking fences and doing what ever needs to be done. I enjoy taking care of all of the cows. So if doesn't really bother me. We got a 100 plus head now.

redfornow":3jbygaz6 said:
Jim62":3jbygaz6 said:
Thanks.

Jim,

If half what you said is true...
Run. We all have people in our family you cant have a deal with.
Life is to short.
Move on, but you knew that before you posted?

The money isn't going to be "rolling in" on five cows anyway. Especially not for you if you are going to feed them at some point. If he can't help, then tell him no. Who needs more work?

Don't waste your time. Sometimes its hard to turn down family but if they're using you its time to say no.

P.S. Send him a bill for the fish food and see what happens! :lol: ...no, don't do that.

Run his cows with yours and treat them a good as you would yours. Use his land and provide up-keep just as you would yours. When the calves are sold, give him his fair share. Expect nothing in return and pray for the health and happiness of your brother. The effort will be minimal but the peace and joy you will experience will be immeasurable. Give it a try - you have little to loose other than malice, and the potential to make a positive impact on the lives of your brother, yourself and your families. Good Luck! :tiphat:

Latest posts