Bloody aftertaste in meat

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Just took 3 steers to the butcher and asked him what causes the dark colored meat and subsequent bloody aftertaste. He said he didn't know but had that complaint before. He suspected stress was the cause but then came up with a case that would argue against stress.

Anyway, I had him process a heifer for me in Aug that had that problem.

Any ideas?

shaz":11forto6 said:
Just took 3 steers to the butcher and asked him what causes the dark colored meat and subsequent bloody aftertaste. He said he didn't know but had that complaint before. He suspected stress was the cause but then came up with a case that would argue against stress.

Anyway, I had him process a heifer for me in Aug that had that problem.

Any ideas?

Google "Dark Cutter"

Thanks 3 way.
I'll let my butcher know about that.

It also sounds like heifers shouldn't be killed when they're in heat. I didn't know that.

Stocker Steve":12s2x7xy said:
I assume you cooked it!

We have started to harvest beef in the pasture with a .22 to the head. No time for stress then.
I tried it on a nervoous cow once; worked well, but used bigger caliber.

ANAZAZI":3gz9n8hf said:
Stocker Steve":3gz9n8hf said:
I assume you cooked it!

We have started to harvest beef in the pasture with a .22 to the head. No time for stress then.

I think you need to carry a stopper for some of the nut jobs - - a .45-70 should do it.

Stocker Steve":36a8cp6t said:
ANAZAZI":36a8cp6t said:
Stocker Steve":36a8cp6t said:
I assume you cooked it!

I think you need to carry a stopper for some of the nut jobs - - a .45-70 should do it.

Be careful Steve some folks around here will start calling you a sissy for that kind of talk!

BTW we shot a 3yr old Longhorn steer today at the sale barn cuz he was too mean to even run through the sale ring. My buddies 44 mag stopped him in his tracks. He made it easy he looked at him and squared up real purty. One shot one kill!

3waycross":82bd8vp6 said:
BTW we shot a 3yr old Longhorn steer today at the sale barn cuz he was too mean to even run through the sale ring. My buddies 44 mag stopped him in his tracks. He made it easy he looked at him and squared up real purty. One shot one kill!
We used to have a custom killer that used a 22 short for everything up to bulls, for those he used a 22 longrifle. He sold it out and the new guy started with a 22 mag, went to a 30-06 then to a 300 win mag. Didn;t have any better success with the 300 then he did with the 22 mag. His gut/skin jobs looked like he used a chainsaw. He was out of business in less then a year.

Your not going to believe this crap. We were seperating cows/calves for weaning today and the butcher calls and says..

Your three steers are gone! :shock:

Are you f**king kidding me?!

Ok, we need a NEW butcher. He offered to settle but I told him take a week and try to get them back. They weren't stolen. He lives right in front of his shop. They just walked out into the next field. This kinda :bs: is like a screen door on a submarine.....you just don't need it!

D*AMN! :bang:

I would be calling the cops. How about not properly bleeding out the carcass. There is a processor around here that the meat sometimes comes back with a nasty odar and bloddy taste and I was thinking that the carcass was not properly bleed out before the heart stopped?

hayray":3gmg7bsa said:
I would be calling the cops. How about not properly bleeding out the carcass. There is a processor around here that the meat sometimes comes back with a nasty odar and bloddy taste and I was thinking that the carcass was not properly bleed out before the heart stopped?

He actually did catch those steers. My issue with him is not his honesty it's that he screws up some minor thing everytime.
I personally like this guy but I have customers that have waited a long time.

shaz-

I'd be curious to hear who you use. I understand if you want to PM to avoid embarassmen. I am currently using a menonie in KY that does an excellent job (although he did botch somthing recently - but immediatly realized it and called to ask how to fix it - I love that type of customer service).... We have used a few others in Mid-TN that we will NOT use again because of problems (drop off a 1400lb steer and receive 200 lbs of meat and no steak larger than a softball.... or worse one place that is now out of business that we kept calling wanting to know where our beef was and finally they told us to come pick it up. When we arrived, the power had been shut off and the meat was half thawed and it was way less than it should have been - plus, no loin steaks at all.....

A couple of years ago, took one in and the butcher started to use a hot shot to unload it i stoped him from doing that, then he started to pen it with a jersey bull with horns that was butting 2 other steers never been back

Our local butcher quit killing on the farm and you have to haul it in to his kill floor. I can't recall if it was a liability issue or a health standard he was being required to uphold.

that sucks..i can tell you from exp i have def noticed a diff when we dropped em off to when we kill em at home. diff feed /enviroment/stress from the change /whatever...but it was diff..i mean it was a diff animal also but just the same....too bad ya cant get home slaughter done anymore

Since this thread popped up again I might as well tell you guys how the 3 steers from Dec turned out.

Not dark cutter but "gamey" tasting. I've noticed that the butcher is never there, he has 2 teenage boys doing everything. I've never had trouble prior to these last two times and mycustomers have noticed as well.
What causes "gamey" taste?? Any ideas?