blood/wash water for fertilizer?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I've been looking at possibly a new alternative to fertilizer but am not finding much on specifics of what I can use, equipment-wise. Also, just wanting to pick the CT brain trust to see if you all had heard of, or seen something similar firsthand. I may have access to the "bloodpond" from a local kill plant. A couple of questions I have are:

First and foremost, would there be any danger to my livestock from the liquid fertilizer from the pond?

How can I get it out of the pond, some kind of trash pump?

How can I spread it without having to dry it first?

Any experience with something like this?

I would assume that the kill plant uses a disinfectant with the wash downs also. you might want to see what chemicals they are using. I don't know how much N would be in it. I would think it would so diluted it would be inefficient but I dont know. I do know we use the bloody water off of our deer processing and just pour it it the flowerbeds and the tomato bins. Don't know if it helps or not.

My concern would be more than just detergent. There is a huge poultry processing facility not far and they take the water from the processing of the birds and spray it on big hay fields with an irrigation system. That hay, when cut and dried, has a very waxy feeling to it, like the fat stays on the leaves (from the blood). I am not sure how well the cattle will eat that (I have never asked, I think they ship the bales out of state because they contract out the hay every year).

One of my buddys used the stuff like FSR is talking abut. They do it for free just to get rid of the stuff. They dont spray it on though. They inject it using a machine with rippers on it. It cut grooves in the ground about a foot apart all across his pasture and made it a little rougher. If you have rocks it will pull them to the top too. He did it for a year or so but they have to notify the neighbors about what they are doing so one of them complained about the smell and got that shut down. It did good for his hay though.

Sounds like it could be a good deal because blood has a high nitrogen content. I would first collect a sample and check the analysis because it could be too diluted with water to be cost effective. If not, you could use a honey wagon to collect it then spread it on your pastures. With the analysis you should easily be able to figure out if it will be cost effective.

Don't get your hopes too high. Keep in mind that absolutely nothing is wasted at a kill plant. If it had any real value they would be selling it. Pure blood is very very high in nitrogen. Wash water probably not.

Yes, the nitrogen content is, or can be, very high. That's what got me to thinking.

My son owns the little processing plant, so I'm familiar with what is going in there. All blood spilled goes in it, from the sticking mainly. Chemicals I'm not certain of, other than some bleach.

Can the honey wagon spray/spread it as well?

talltimber":217uvh0w said:
Can the honey wagon spray/spread it as well?

Yes. Just a matter of some simple plumbing. They are pretty common in certain agricultural applications. Biggest factor will be what the analysis tells you because hauling water is very inefficient. I suspect if he has a lagoon the liquid will be rich in nutrients and would be cost effective as long as you don't have to haul it far.

I'd be concerned about bacteria in that mess. Ya get enough shed about from your own cow poop, don't need to intentionally bring in a bunch more from cattle gut you know nothing about.

greybeard":1s76vay6 said:
I'd be concerned about bacteria in that mess. Ya get enough shed about from your own cow poop, don't need to intentionally bring in a bunch more from cattle gut you know nothing about.
I thought you were talking abut a chicken kill plant. :oops:

Latest posts