Blinding Dairy Bulls ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Estrotect sticker {click here} on the tailhead. When doing chores, glance and see the color of the sticker.
I've heard Jersey bulls are more aggressive than Holstein bulls. Some people say Jersey bulls are trying to compensate for their smaller size.
Yes, stickers or patches are an option.
By best friend A.I.'s roughly 250hd a yr on natural heat (with absolute stupid good conception rates) but during breeding season his cows are dry lotted and he heat check 3-4 times a day. He uses no bull, sticker, ect. We have talked a lot about it and the other advantage of having a gomer would be that most non virgin hfrs are easier to A.I. than virgin hfrs.

Talked to another pretty big breeder in the area. He said they routinely see a12% increase in conception in groups where they use a gomer.

I know Jerseys are nasty little hormone driven time bombs. I'm not going into this with unrealistic expectations. As soon as I'm done I them their mrkt bulls.

My friend tried 1 time to make a heat checker out of a fat hfr. She would chase you out of the pen.

To the original topic, my mother in law's third husband (I call him my step-father in law to not steal the title from my wife's dad) and I were walking around town one day for an event, shooting the sh*t until we run out of ammunition. We got on the topic of bulls because a certain little boy in that town wants to be a bull and bronc rider and he learned I used to ride bulls when I was younger so it's an obligatory conversation every time he sees me and we had encountered him and his mother just before. Anyway, when he was younger him and his friends used to play in this cow pasture where they had an old brimmer bull that was meaner than hell and had to be blinded at one point, and him and his friends would post a guard with a BB gun to shoot the bull IVO the face and eyes if he got near because he could still get around and find kids just fine. I thought it was over the top, but times were different then.

Several farmers around here kept their dairy bull on a chain. They would set a telephone pole by the water tank and run a cable from the pole to inside the barn. Then run a chain from the bull's nose to the cable. If the cows wanted bred they had to go to the bull.

If you have documentation for intentional blinding of any animal, including a bull post it.
SPCA will be in contact.

hate to think what happens if he goes running at ya and gets to the end of the chain
Always wondered that myself, don't know that it stops them gracefully. My uncle roped a brimmer bull once and tied him to a snubbing post and the SOB broke his neck trying to kill him.

If you have documentation for intentional blinding of any animal, including a bull post it.
SPCA will be in contact.
You can do anything you want if you don't tell on yourself.

Latest posts