Blaer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazyacre

Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase a baler to bale about 150 acres. My tractor is a 55pto hp. I notice the bigger balers that do 5x6 or 6x6 bales require higher hp. IF you were to stop the bale at a smaller size, can a lower hp tractor handle the larger baler. I have found a good price on a big baler and trying to make it work but don't want to overload my tractor!

We use a NH 654 baler also. Does it have the wide pickup?
It's a good baler, usually bale between 300-600 round bales a year, and with regular maintenance, keeping it blown off, greased, it'll last a while longer.

Lazyacre":3tesg3id said:
I am wanting to purchase a baler to bale about 150 acres. My tractor is a 55pto hp. I notice the bigger balers that do 5x6 or 6x6 bales require higher hp. IF you were to stop the bale at a smaller size, can a lower hp tractor handle the larger baler. I have found a good price on a big baler and trying to make it work but don't want to overload my tractor!

I use a NH 851. I think the manual says at least 60HP at the PTO. I tried a smaller tractor thinking about making smaller bales but it just didn't work. But then again I only had 45 HP at the PTO. Your 55 may work. Is there anyway they will let you try it? I just hate to overload a tractor for extended periods of time.

If your land is all flat and level you may get by with it. If it's not just the strain on the tractor from pulling it will be greater and use more of the tractors power taking it away from the power needed for baling. Stick with one made for your size tractor and you'll be a lot better off.

the 1st round baler we had was 851NH.we pulled it with a 6000 ford 70hp.an it lugged the crapp out of the tractor.so we bought the 7700 ford to pull it with.scott

bigbull338":89vuns4c said:
the 1st round baler we had was 851NH.we pulled it with a 6000 ford 70hp.an it lugged the crapp out of the tractor.so we bought the 7700 ford to pull it with.scott

Hey bigbull how's your teeth doing? I pull my 851 with a MF285 and it doesn't even care it's back there. ;-)

im finally feeling like doing something.an checking on my friends here.finally got to est some taters yesterday.but im not goung tobe eating steaks for awhile.still taking it slow tho.scott

Latest posts