bladder infection treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Just noticed a yearling heifer straining a bit to pee - then a few squirts come out. Obviously suspect bladder infection. acting fine and eating other that the bit of straining. hasn't been with bull and was in heat about a week ago so no surprise calf coming. Treatment suggestions?

I take that as a "no".

Started her on Pen based on other searches. Vet seems to agree. Was hoping there was something longer acting but I can't find any evidence that anything but a weeks worth of Pen works.

Yes penicillin would be the most cost effective treatment. Anything that kills e-coli such as penicillin or amoxicillin.
For as long as the Vet says or you could end up with a highly resistant bacteria infection.

4 days of pen - 25 ML each shot. Was done straining the evening after the first shot but drove pushed it further just to make sure.

May not be bladder infection, actually I would say it is unlikely to be. More likely inflammation of the urethra especially after being with the the bull, just a bit too much sex especially being a virgin, it happens.

Ken

wbvs58":2x699ydj said:
May not be bladder infection, actually I would say it is unlikely to be. More likely inflammation of the urethra especially after being with the the bull, just a bit too much sex especially being a virgin, it happens.

Ken

good point. except no bull in the area.

angus9259":fohhio4o said:
wbvs58":fohhio4o said:

Ken

good point. except no bull in the area.
Sorry, I misread it, I thought had been with the bull.

Ken

Latest posts