BJD (Bovine Johnes Disease)

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Ran into our vets wife last night and she asked what I know about Johnes (yo-nees).
Nothing.
Giving me a heads up her husband had tested some cattle and they were found positive for Johnes.
He is worried that this will get out of hand.

Anybody dealt with this?
I did a google search so I now know some about it.
Worries me knowing deer can carry it!

Vet's wife needs to keep her mouth shut, or he doesn't need to be discussing confidential client information with her, if she's gonna be blabbing about it in public.

That said, it's out there.
Pretty widespread in dairy herds, but also present in beef herds - and probably has been for a long time - but I'm strongly suspicious that many purebred beef producers brought it in when ET first came on the scene - purchasing embryos in Holstein heifers.

Good coverage of all aspects here: http://www.johnes.org/

LuckyP maybe I would rather be given a heads up over something in our county that can be spread to OUR herd rather then find out after the fact and a loss of numerous of our cattle.
By the way NO NAMES were used so who's herd it was I have no idea.

Our vet is planning to have a conference to notify ALL the cattlemen/woman so we all know it is now here.
I know if bangs showed up and they told no one there would be some really ticked off people.

Widespread here too, I've had several confirmed over the last six years, all bought in cattle and from different sources. No cases in cows born to the herd, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Economically, it has little impact. It's picking out cows eight or nine years old that are already past their peak. I've had a couple identified positive that didn't show the acute symptoms but were 'poorly' for several months.
While I'd do anything practical to prevent its spread, I don't lose sleep over it.

With anonymity observed, information like this is often shared by vets here Lucky. Like the internet it's not truly anonymous though, I met a semen salesman recently who told me the name of a herd-owner and it took me less than 5 seconds to match that name with something a vet told me four years ago.

I agree with Lucky_P. It is the veterinarian's job to tell his clients. Not his wife.
That is how mis-information gets spread and rumors running wild. I'm not saying that you will go babbling to folks, but someone else that she told might.

Thanks regolith.

chippie I work with her in town. She told me because we really care about our cattle and our kids were in 4-H together.
Have a neighbor that share's a fence line with us years ago get trich in his herd. Hubby found out about it AFTER the fact. Everyone else in the area knew but nobody told him! This neighbors cattle still like to tear down the fence and come visiting. Doesn't matter how strong or tight we get it when they want in here here they come.
He had some trouble so going to see if he still has cattle this year.

Perhaps the wife is not some blabbering idiot and is qualified to voice her opinion.... and anyway, "It's out there" already......

When I said "it's out there", I meant the disease is out there - not that the vet's wife had been discussing it in public. It's a disease that has been recognized for over 100 years, and has been widely disseminated. I'll bet it's not the first time it's been diagnosed in your county, herf.

regolith,
In a commercial beef herd, it may be more difficult to notice the economic effect - but it's there.
It's been studied more intensively in dairy cattle than beef; back in the early 1990s, a California study showed that MAP-infected heifers - still clinically normal - produced $250 less saleable milkin their first lactation than their non-infected contemporaries. 2nd lactation yielded $350 less saleable milk - and most didn't make it to a third lactation, as they broke with clinical disease or were culled for other reasons. Life span of a dairy cow infected with the Johne's organism is typically much shorter than for an infected beef cow - they're exposed to much more stress - and manure - on a daily basis, than are most beef cows.

If you were a purebred/seedstock producer, the diagnosis of Johne's Disease in your herd could potentially be an economic disaster.
Certainly, a reputable breeder would take the appropriate steps to try to 'clean up the mess' - and be upfront about herd status with potential buyers. But, even with testing/culling, it can take upwards of 10+ years to 'clear' a herd, if they've gotten to the point that they're experiencing animals with clinical disease.
Dr. Chris Rossiter's work with the NY Johne's program back in the '90s showed that in infected beef herds, calves born to a Johne's-positive dam were 10X more likely to become infected than calves in the same herd, born to non-infected dams.

It's good that you are friends with her. Sorry I said anything.
It's your business. I had a flash from the past from when I was a veterinarian's secretary and a technician told a friend about a horse that tested positive for EIA before the boarding stable could be contacted. It was a mess. The news spread like wildfire and was distorted beyond recognition. Upset horse owners were burning the phone lines up.

Its fairy common in dairy herds in spots. Probably more common in beef herds than we realize. The thing is, you notice it mostly when an animal is "pushed hard in a high production environment"... The exact words of a dairy cow. I feel some beef cows may have/carry it, but it is not nearly as apparent due to beef cows aren't pushed as hard as dairy. I do believe there were some funding/grants at one point to get your herd tested and eradicate it. Basically its a bad disease, that costs ?millions? (maybe more) $ a year in loss of production. With that said, you can get rid of it, but it'll take time. I know of a few dairy guys that tested everything, only used milk re-placer for calves, as colostrum/milk is a great way to transfer it to the newborn calf. It took many years, but I think they are free of it at the moment. You really have to watch purchased cattle, as one animal can infect some of or your whole herd.

I'm running a grazing dairy herd, Lucky. So far haven't had a clinical case less than eight years old - the future does worry me, some of those cows had daughters, their milk was mixed with every other new calver's and fed to calves, they grazed on the same land the calves later used,prior to diagnosis and culling. The oldest of those calves are nearly seven years, expecting their sixth calves in July/August.
Certainly I'd be more worried about it if young cows were being affected, and as the herd genetics improve.

their milk was mixed with every other new calver's and fed to calves,
Yep, was/is a common thing to do, my parents did it for years. How old does an animal need to be before you can test for it?

Jenna,
Infected animals will rarely seroconvert(develop a detectable antibody titer) or begin shedding the organism in their feces before 18-24 months. Most will only show up positive on the serologic test just shortly before they become 'clinical'.

'Immunologic tolerance' is a major part of the disease; since they are exposed shortly after birth - or, in a significant percentage of cases, in utero - and the organism can survive quite nicely inside macrophages, the animal's immune system rarely gets a chance to 'recognize' the organism as 'foreign', until they reach 'critical mass'.

Lucky this was the first I had heard about a positive test for it here. Then again most will never admit they have a problem in their herd.

I doubt that most folks who know they have Johne's in their herd trumpet it to the skies or take out a full-page ad in the local paper to let folks know.
It's not like their bull won grand champion honors at the state fair.

There have been rumors for years that johnes has been implicated in crohns disease in humans from drinking milk from infected cattle.
There are also rumors that most pasturization
temperatures are not high enough to kill the "bug".
As far as I know this has never been proven or dis-proven, but if true it is everyones concern to erradicate the disease, not just cattlemen /women whos main concern may be their cattle herd status.
Anyone know more about this story of the possible connection betweens crohns and johnes??

Latest posts