Bittersweet visitors

Help Support CattleToday:

Swarming bees are supposed to be really mellow since they don't have a queen or honey to protect. With that said, I don't plan on testing that theory.

slick4591":tmd07n8r said:
Swarming bees are supposed to be really mellow since they don't have a queen or honey to protect. With that said, I don't plan on testing that theory.

They have the ''queen'' with them is why they swarm!

slick4591":32xnnsuy said:
Humm. Guess it's just the honey then. :?

Wonder if Sky would mind testing this theory with a little thump with his finger. I'll even hold his beer. :lol2:

Jogeephus":24wykd2m said:
Hope you find someone to take them or they find a good home on their own before they find a crack in your home and setup shop. Nothing worse than having honey dripping from your walls.

unless you're Winnie the Pooh. Seem to recall he rather liked it. ;)

boondocks":h5odtrm5 said:
Jogeephus":h5odtrm5 said:
Hope you find someone to take them or they find a good home on their own before they find a crack in your home and setup shop. Nothing worse than having honey dripping from your walls.

unless you're Winnie the Pooh. Seem to recall he rather liked it. ;)

He would have loved my old house then.

Jogeephus":vihu4fqc said:
You might want to just thump them with your finger to see if they are alive and healthy. :lol:
No
I know nothing about bees, but I did step on a yellow jacket nest when I was a kid and know a learning opportunity
when I see one. Send one of the kids to thump it to see how lively they are, great opportunity to teach them about nature! Plus it can be a learning experience for Sky too. Ask for a volunteer, then he'll know which one he'll have to keep an eye on as a prime candidate for nature weeding out the stupid. Then again he lives in Virginia, so perhaps the whole clan might volunteer. :)

TexasBred":2rx9m2th said:
kenny thomas":2rx9m2th said:
You can scoop them up with your bare hand as long as you don't mash one. They are very calm

I'm sure they are..problem would be that I"M not. :lol:

A number of years, where I used to work, there was a small swarm that had gathered on one of the ornamental trees in the farm owner's yard. One of my co-workers had a couple of hives. She and I were able to "scoop" them off the limb and into a cardboard box, without being stung. We proceeded slowly and calmly. We left the box on the ground under the limb for a couple of hours, in order for some of the remaining "scouts" to return to the box (they will come back to the queen). We returned, poked tiny holes (smaller than a honeybee) in the box, sealed it up and she brought it home to a hive she had available.

The only reason we captured them, was that the farm owner wanted them 'sprayed', and they agreed to let us try to remove them by day's end.

Workinonit Farm":tdeor4a1 said:
TexasBred":tdeor4a1 said:
kenny thomas":tdeor4a1 said:
You can scoop them up with your bare hand as long as you don't mash one. They are very calm

I'm sure they are..problem would be that I"M not. :lol:

A number of years ago, where I used to work, there was a small swarm that had gathered on one of the ornamental trees in the farm owner's yard. One of my co-workers had a couple of hives. She and I were able to "scoop" them off the limb and into a cardboard box, without being stung. We proceeded slowly and calmly. We left the box on the ground under the limb for a couple of hours, in order for some of the remaining "scouts" to return to the box (they will come back to the queen). We returned, poked tiny holes (smaller than a honeybee) in the box, sealed it up and she brought it home to a hive she had available.

The only reason we captured them, was that the farm owner wanted them 'sprayed', and they agreed to let us try to remove them by day's end.

Visitors left a bee keeper was on his way out to get them this morning ... No clue where they went but I will be looking for honey dripping from my walls.

Son of Butch":26lz95vw said:
Jogeephus":26lz95vw said:
You might want to just thump them with your finger to see if they are alive and healthy. :lol:
No
I know nothing about bees, but I did step on a yellow jacket nest when I was a kid and know a learning opportunity
when I see one. Send one of the kids to thump it to see how lively they are, great opportunity to teach them about nature! Plus it can be a learning experience for Sky too. Ask for a volunteer, then he'll know which one he'll have to keep an eye on as a prime candidate for nature weeding out the stupid. Then again he lives in Virginia, so perhaps the whole clan might volunteer. :)

I know little of honey bees but what I've observed is the time of day makes a big difference. Middle of the day they seem the feistiest. I've seen the guys who work the hives on my land handle them and late in the day the bees seem very docile but midday on a clear hot day they can be mean but they are nothing like yellow jackets. Yellow jackets need to be extinct.

Jogeephus":3uyrhk7q said:
Son of Butch":3uyrhk7q said:
Jogeephus":3uyrhk7q said:
No

I know little of honey bees but what I've observed is the time of day makes a big difference. Middle of the day they seem the feistiest. I've seen the guys who work the hives on my land handle them and late in the day the bees seem very docile but midday on a clear hot day they can be mean but they are nothing like yellow jackets. Yellow jackets need to be extinct.

Jo,

I'm looking back at some old discussions and ran across this one. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you about honeybee behavior. They're generally easier to work on warm bright days. They get meaner as the weather gets colder and / or cloudier. I don't know why the guys work the bees on your place late in the day. Maybe that's just when they have time.

You may be right about it being the only time they can work them and when they were moving more hives to the clover fields they may have done this at night so all the bees would be in the hive. Anything I say about honeybees is like Old Faithful spewing ignorance because I don't know anything about them other than they will sting you and that's all I care to know. Oh, and the honey can be fermented into a nice concoction.

wish I was close by , I sure would like to have them if you didn't want them. I have put a lot of them in the hive like that with out any protective clothing on. Now if they have been there for a week they may start to get more aggressive, but the first day you can clip the branch off and hang it in a cardboard box and move them to a hive box several miles away, just protect them a little from the wind while riding in the back of the PU.

Latest posts