Birth weights

Help Support CattleToday:

dbirdsong

Reaction score
Has there been any research done about environmental affects on birth weights? I have had this group of cows for a while and most years my calves range from 60-85 pounds. This year I have had a 96, 97, and 113 pound calf. They have never had calves anywhere close to these weights. The 96 and 97 pound calves are Rampage sons and the 113 pound calf is a Resouce.

Yes. In my case, Environment = Better nutrition. I have excellent pasture. There is a variety of grasses and clovers. I think that influences my birthweight. My average BW is 88 pounds. This year I had a 97, 112 and 123 as my upper maximums. However, all three were Hooks Broadway sired calves. So in that case, it was genetics.

Lots of factors will effect size and gestation length is one of the biggest. My current herd has a long gestation and i average 90-100 pounds birthweight. My previous crossbreeds used to average 10 days shorter and 20 pounds less. I am still trying to figure out how to change it and have used a couple of different bulls this year selected soley for those traits. I have seven calves due in a couple of months to these bulls.

Another strange thing this year is that I out of 17 A.I. calves 13 have been bulls. Just one of those years I guess.

dbirdsong":267u6449 said:
Another strange thing this year is that I out of 17 A.I. calves 13 have been bulls. Just one of those years I guess.

I always get more bulls AI than I get heifers. I would guess the ratio is approximately 5 bulls to 3 heifers. From what the semen folks tell me, that is not unusual. The Y spermatozoa endure the freezing process better than the X spermatozoa.

We have had some whoppers this year, much heavier than over the past three years. Multiple AI calves out of SAV sires that were over 100.

Feed, temperature, time of year, cow size, age of the Dam, sex of calf and Genetics all play a role in size of the calves.

I did the math and my calves are averaging 22 pounds heavier at birth than they did last year. That seems to be beyond what you would expect genetically. I did use more performance oriented sires but my cleanup bull last year was a Harvestor x Density son so the calves aren't genetically that much different for birth weight. The only thing that I did differently was leave protein tubs out this fall. Could that make such a increase in birth weights?

dbirdsong":2gyy0evl said:
I did the math and my calves are averaging 22 pounds heavier at birth than they did last year. That seems to be beyond what you would expect genetically. I did use more performance oriented sires but my cleanup bull last year was a Harvestor x Density son so the calves aren't genetically that much different for birth weight. The only thing that I did differently was leave protein tubs out this fall. Could that make such a increase in birth weights?
Yes.

Latest posts