Birth of the Republic

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe but I could be wrong but Davy had had a belly full of Tennesse politics at the time.

alftn":1823nrdd said:
I like how ya'll keep saing Texans, I bet there are more Tennessee in the battles than AngloTexans...
I was raised in Alamo, Tennesseethat is...in the county of Crockett...

The last numbers I saw put the total number of Tennesseans dead at the Alamo at 35. The woman and baby that Santa Anna let go with a letter to give to Houston were from Tennessee. So at least two Tennesseans survived the battle. Interesting subject I might add.

Always appreciate the Tennessee Volunteers. And they're still welcome but who knows. They may have to have a green card now. But if you keep going south you can drive right into Mexico for a "crips one dollar bill" bribe. (No coins)

A bit more of the interesting story for folks here who might find it interesting:
A grave marker Dedication ceremony for Dillard COOPER who died 1892-1896 will be held March 15, 2008 11 am, Llano City Cemetery, Llano Texas.
This ceremony and the installation of a marble grave stone and SRT bronze marker was organized by the John O. Meusebach Chapter #48 of Sons of the Republic of Texas and the Chapter President Donald Clark, to more properly honor the service of Dillard COOPER, a soldier of the Republic of Texas.
The ceremony is open to the general public, and in particular descendants of Dillard COOPER and other related Cooper family members.
Dillard COOPERs story of his escape from Goliad has been preserved in several publications and is online, including the Handbook of Texas, the Nesbitt Memorial Library in Columbus, TX and can also be found on this Texas A&M University link
See:
http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/goliadframe.htm
A very interesting story from our past.
Thank-You CB.

I studied this in High School Texas History but never knew of Dillard Cooper until recently. My wife found out through her geneology diggings that Dillard Cooper was my Great Great Grandfather. He was one of the few survivors of the Fannin Massacre.

Caustic Burno":1hsqnomx said:
The Alamo falls this morning in 1836.

If only they could see what came of their efforts and sacrifices.
How different would the world be if Texas had remained part of Mexico? Very different, is all I can say.

john250":1adq8701 said:
Caustic Burno":1adq8701 said:
The Alamo falls this morning in 1836.

If only they could see what came of their efforts and sacrifices.
How different would the world be if Texas had remained part of Mexico? Very different, is all I can say.

For one thing the illegals would be trying to cross the Red River to get into the US instead of the Rio Grande.

Latest posts