Biosolids ferterlizer

Help Support CattleToday:

M Thomason

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this stuff on pastures ? Saw a note on the bullentin board at the local sale barn 60 dollars a ton have to buy 25 ton load. Flier claimed it had twice the N as chicken litter. Suppose to be pathogen free class A stuff. Wife don't want none on our pastures. What do yaw'll think ? The local feed store sells Milorganite 50# for 12.00 said its the same stuff.

I think I need to start out by stating I am not a greenie and I do not consider myself an eco-nazi.

So ......

I will not use it - not only does using human schitte and all the other things that go into the sewer bother me, there is no guarantee that the traces of various "bad" things are not there.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/WQ427

This outfit claims there is no short term risk and they very well could be right - however they do state there is potential long term use risk - metal build up, and various chemical that can build up.

Using human schitte is not for me - any more than feeding cows chicken schitte is. Feeding chicken schitte to cows is outlawed in Canada but it is, I believe, a USDA approved feed in your country - and is indeed commonly fed to cattle. Which is why I will not eat American beef from the store - I will eat it from the ranch table as I know many solid American producers who do not screw with Mom Nature. Human waste is used as fertilizer in our country and I am not so sure it should be.

I do know I have stopped buying hay from a neighbour who uses it. And I will never buy hay from him again if only because I do not want to be associated with it in any way. I certainly do not want to eat meat from my cows that have eaten hay from his fields.

Call me paranoid - I do not care.

It is politely called Bio Solids.

What it is, is sewage sludge.

I guess the dollar savings is creating issues that even we as producers are tending to often turn a blind eye to. While I do not always agree with my Grandaddy - I do always think that we need to remember we are the true guardians of what the people eat - not some corporation that looks to profit for the shareholders - often at nearly any cost.

There are just some things that do not seem right to me.

Everyone has to make their own choices - and I am now starting to not eat food that I do not know the history of - from "Field to Fork" simply because even some of my friends and colleagues on both sides of the border are chasing the dollar even more than I do.

I do not believe it is appropriate to screw with Mom Nature any more than we already do.

And no - we do not put the fancy small packaged stuff that is sold on shelves in our gardens either!

Bez

I used stuff like it from Prime Tanning. They spread it for free. Then they didn't know if it was poisionus or not. Then they filied a state lawsuit. Then they gave me a check. Then they filied another lawsuit in Federal Court. Hope they send me another check. Ain't sick yet, don't think I ever will be. It was all stupid, but liked the check. gs

Here, they soil test, apply hydrated lime, and spread free. It grows nice crops,real nice. I don't use it because I sell freezer beef. If my customers found out about it, I would be in trouble

For many years we have tracked human and animal illness and death, and surface and ground water pollution from landspreading sewage sludge biosolids. http://www.sludgevictims.com

Then we learned Alzheimer's (AD) is a prion disease and AD victims may be shedding prions to public sewers in urine and feces. Infectious human and animal prions have been found in saliva, mucus, blood, urine and feces

"Inflammation and prions in Urine
Adriano Aguzzi of the University Hospital of Zurich: "Further research by the team showed that, if inflammation is induced in any excretory organ of the body, prions are excreted in whatever substance the organ excretes. "
http://sludgevictims.com/pdf_files/PRIONSINURINE.pdf Prions in feces: http://sludgevictims.com/pdf_files/PRIONSINFECES.pdf

Sewage treatment does not inactivate prions - it reconcentrates them in the sewage sludge biosolids. (US EPA; Pedersen, Joel, et al) Worse yet, the US EPA and sludgers promote "fertilization" with sludge biosolids on home vegetable gardens.

Now the prion scientists have discovered that plants and crops, including alfalfa, corn and tomatoes, UPTAKE infectious prions from soil and sludge fertilizer. Thus, our food supply is infected with the same pathogens - prions - which cause mad cow disease, Chronic Wasting Disease (epidemic), Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease, Alzheimer's Disease (epidemic), etc.

http://www.alzheimers-prions.com/pdf/PR ... ohnson.pdf

The government has to start admitting the truth, and sludge spreading on food and grazing lands must stop.

Helane Shields, Alton, NH [email protected]
http://alzheimers-prions.com/

ANAZAZI":3nwhtbor said:
:lol: Flounder, is thst you? :lol: :lol:
I could be wrong but I don't think it is flounder.
Now here's the kicker, there are so many prescriptions being flushed down toilets it's not even funny. Plus the body excretes a bunch of it through urine and poop. That all ends up in the bio solids and there is no way to screen those chemicals out. The city of LA at one point did a study and there were so many residual prescription chemicals they didn't even know where to dump their effluent.
On the subject of prions, I don't believe they are shed, but they remain in brain tissue and spinal cord tissue. To the best of my knowledge

mtnhunter":x97wy3ay said:
And this is different from spreading cow manure on the fields how?

I can't answer that scientifically. It just seems grass in grass out to me. Familiarity breeds neglect, but if I get manure on me it's no big deal. If I got someone else's poop on my shoe, I'd need a bath with a brilo pad, and bleach. I have thought about it, and called locally to find out about it. They said it was such public relations nightmare that they didn't fool with it. I think they said that our solids go to the land fill. I was in a poop plant in Louisville not long ago on a business tour. They were in the process of bagging the stuff to sell. I don't know how much they were selling, but I saw the bags.

I would like to wade into the fray with a few comments.

We spread chicken manure on our farm, the kind that's wet and stinks. It never has bothered me but my son would come down with a cold like condition for the first couple years he helped me. It does not bother him now.

I read the post above and went to the sites and followed it to my state and read the articles that are close to where I live. People in those articles were complaining of sore throats and other things and one person complained about getting sick when spreading was done close to her well.

While I am by no means an expert I do know that heavy metals can be taken up by plants and enter the food change. Germs and the like however can be broken down by microbes in the soil.

My state requires reports identifying all heavy metals and amounts in industrial wastes that are spread.
These reports are available from the D.E.P. in my state.

All my fields are cert. Organic. I am allowed to spread manure on my fields but not any type of industrial waste no matter what a DEP report says about it.

I find it very odd that the chicken manure is sprayed to keep flys under control during the summer ( required by the state) but it's still considered organic.

With regard to human waste if I could spread it and if I was sure that heavy metals were no higher than what is found in regular manure then I think I would spread it. Would I trust the DEP reports with regard to heavy metals, I'm not sure.

mtnhunter":38qgwoqn said:
And this is different from spreading cow manure on the fields how?
Most pathogens that cattle carry are not transferable to humans. Prions are one that is though
Most cattle don't take a handful Of pills each day that can't be fully processes by their body's system.
Should I continue on or is that enough?