Bill cuts federal crop insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

I was talking with the insurance company that handles our drought insurance, and the agent said the bill is full of loop holes imagine that. But he did say cattlemen are looking better than farmers for the time being. The government will do whatever it takes to keep the price of food cheap. Because after all the government is the largest consumer of all foods.

Not good. Google and watch the1980 iowa farm crisis video. And, a lot of banks won't lend without. This would have a huge impact on u.s. ag. Not just the bad eggs!

I'm a little torn. When it's not abused, it's a good program. For everybody------farmer, consumer, lender. Also keeps the foood supply flowing and cheap. It probably was time for an overhaul. I figured this thread would have taken off by now. It's got the total recipe. Government, farmers, freeloaders the whole 9 yards.

ram":n2o5kugd said:
I was talking with the insurance company that handles our drought insurance, and the agent said the bill is full of loop holes imagine that. But he did say cattlemen are looking better than farmers for the time being. The government will do whatever it takes to keep the price of food cheap. Because after all the government is the largest consumer of all foods.

There is an ad running on one of our local radio stations that states, " due to population growth, more food will need to be produced over the next 50 years than has been produced in the last 10,000 years." Must have heard this ad 5 times on Saturday while hauling cows out to graze stalks. The concept still blows my mind. Not sure if it's true or not, but the colleges and universities are teaching the same thing. Son #1 is a junior majoring in finance/accounting. He says his professors talk about future food needs and energy needs constantly, as this will make up the lions share of most people's expenses for existence based on projected population growth and food/energy availability.

All government programs have a lot of unintended consequences. I think a major one for subsidized insurance and zero interest rates is driving up the price of land - - and thus making it more difficult for new or small farmers. Excel users can easily calculate an income floor, negotiate bulk discounts for inputs, lease green equipment, hire hourly drivers, and then attract outside investors to finance "over priced" land with a very low risk budget projection.
This is an industrial model based on cheap money that has created world wide commodity surpluses. Other countries are now copying much of it. How can you talk about looming food shortages with a straight face?

bball":2t5sncbr said:
There is an ad running on one of our local radio stations that states, " due to population growth, more food will need to be produced over the next 50 years than has been produced in the last 10,000 years." Must have heard this ad 5 times on Saturday while hauling cows out to graze stalks. The concept still blows my mind. Not sure if it's true or not, but the colleges and universities are teaching the same thing. Son #1 is a junior majoring in finance/accounting. He says his professors talk about future food needs and energy needs constantly, as this will make up the lions share of most people's expenses for existence based on projected population growth and food/energy availability.

Doomsters are always trying to sell something. Is their point that we all need to go back to college to be better prepared for the end days, or that we need to take the cuffs off oil and ag corporations so they can save us?

It is my understanding that the drastic reduction (14.5% down to 8.9%) was agreed to be withdrawn from the proposal the next day. After the light of day hit and everyone was awake.
Even with its flaws crop insurance is better than the ad hoc disaster programs that were the mainstay of the USDA and Congress back in the earlier years. Then whether you personally had a crop failure or not if you lived in an area or State that had a weather disaster you received free or low interest money. However it was not something you could literally bank on.

Stocker Steve":2cbuotgl said:
bball":2cbuotgl said:

Doomsters are always trying to sell something. Is their point that we all need to go back to college to be better prepared for the end days, or that we need to take the cuffs off oil and ag corporations so they can save us?

The ad is being run by a company that deals in ag. As far as end of days, I didn't say that at all. Just relaying what is being taught to youth in our colleges about the changing world. Our youthh today are taught a global view of things as opposed to a national view. Population growth, energy and global food supply is a major focus nowadays in education and business.

Angus Cowman":2405tftq said:
I made my Billions off of Crop insurance how else do you think I was able to retire to Fl and live in my McMansion on the lake with my own cement pond and I did it in only 4 yrs of farming
Took you 4 years? An awful long time AC--Was you sick part of that time or sumpthin?

This guy has it wrong, but might help the new guys navigate the ups and downs of farming---it IS NOT safe for work--or listening to around children!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

greybeard":gpffe03q said:
Angus Cowman":gpffe03q said:
I made my Billions off of Crop insurance how else do you think I was able to retire to Fl and live in my McMansion on the lake with my own cement pond and I did it in only 4 yrs of farming
Took you 4 years? An awful long time AC--Was you sick part of that time or sumpthin?

This guy has it wrong, but might help the new guys navigate the ups and downs of farming---it IS NOT safe for work--or listening to around children!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE
I didn't want them to catch on so I acted poor for a few yrs and wanted everyone to think I was truly in it for the experience

bball":qh2maw05 said:
The ad is being run by a company that deals in ag. As far as end of days, I didn't say that at all. Just relaying what is being taught to youth in our colleges about the changing world. Our youthh today are taught a global view of things as opposed to a national view. Population growth, energy and global food supply is a major focus nowadays in education and business.

As it should be. Farming is no longer simply for own's on consumption or sell at the farmer's market.

Think it's bad having to depend on a foreign country for oil.
Wait till you have to count on them for food.

Latest posts