big square bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I have gotten in some big square bales 4x3 with wires.

I know out west that alfalfa is baled close to the same.

How do the feedlots makes use of it?
Cutting ,rolling and pulling wires off is getting old-- I'm sure they aren't spending that much time dealing with their bales.

Howdyjabo":31jr1ilq said:
I have gotten in some big square bales 4x3 with wires.

I know out west that alfalfa is baled close to the same.

How do the feedlots makes use of it?
Cutting ,rolling and pulling wires off is getting old-- I'm sure they aren't spending that much time dealing with their bales.

They are usually ground here, then mixed with whatever the feedlots choose to feed.

I'm trying to figure out how they go about getting the wires off.

Never heard of big sq bales with wires? Mine. have heavy plastic.

I set the bales on the side and cut and pull off the twine, guess I would do the same with wire, don't know how else except by hand 1 at a time. Still faster easier than big rounds.

I have never seen a big bale with wire either. Very few wire balers around anymore period. In fact I don't think they make a wire baler anymore. I know the few that are around people have a tough time finding wire.

Howdyjabo":b7gr6n6p said:

I've never heard of big squares baled with wire - usually it's plastic twine and all but one strand is cut prior to grinding.

When we were in the dairy business, used to buy big bales of alfalfa hay baled with wire. I think it came from Canada. That was about 10 years ago. we just cut it with wire cutters and pulled them out like twine.

Howdyjabo":1d46urn0 said:

Interesting question. I wouldn't think one would want to cut that last wire as the bale is perched above the grinder. :shock: Perhaps they use a bucket with grappling hooks, instead of bale spears? That might allow them to remove all the wires and then just dump the bale in?

I take off all the stings while the bale sits on its side.

I use a skidsteer loader with pallet forks set 2 feet apart, under the bale. Takes 3 lifts to get all sections. Works real good and fast.

mnmtranching":2o60pnz7 said:
I take off all the stings while the bale sits on its side.

I use a skidsteer loader with pallet forks set 2 feet apart, under the bale. Takes 3 lifts to get all sections. Works real good and fast.

Yes, but you're losing a lot of leaves if it's alfalfa, and a lot of seeds if it's grass.

I have dreamed that someone had already figured out how to hold the bale over the mixer get the wires cut and gathered and just drop it in.

Guess I am gonna have to keep dreaming while I cut ,roll and pull
over and over :)

Latest posts