Bidding on fence

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Landowner buying all material for a 2000 ft L shaped 5 wire- barb wire fence , T-post set 15 ft apart , welded pipe corners, You would be bidding on setting and weldings corners, setting T-post and stringing wire, how much per foot would you bid to do this?

Does that price include welding the corners up or do you figure a different price for welding the corners? and .75 for setting line post and stretching wire?

cowboy43":uqfl4n81 said:
Does that price include welding the corners up or do you figure a different price for welding the corners? and .75 for setting line post and stretching wire?
That was for driving corners 2 sets of corners and welding and all t post and a single brace post pr 1/4 mile run and stretching the wire

if the owner wanted more than one horizontal brace pr corner it was $10 pr horizontal if there were more than the starting corner and ending corner in a 1/4 mile than it was $20 pr every post and $10 pr horizontal same on braces if you were going up and down hill
I would drive corners and braces and stretch top wire for alignment then my crew would drive the t-post and stretch the rest of the wire
I paid them $.35pr ft and they would do a half mile pr day on average

I would guess that a bid would come in at $1.00 per foot. A lot of fence guys just figure the cost of material and then figure the same amount for labor. Add for the cost of gates and you have it. This is for clean fence lines with not to much slope.

Just hired a person to do this for me this spring. Field fence with 2 strands wire on top. I purchased and had all supplies on site.

Labor $1 ft
Double H stretching braces (that I welded) - $50 per section (for digging 3 holes and setting in concrete). I had 5 sections done $250 total.
Double Gate (2 - 10 ft gates) - $75 per gate (hung and leveled) = $150 total

Meant to add to my post that I would charge for any welding done like what you mentioned..."do you figure a different price for welding the corners?"
Yes - I would think $50-100+ per brace depending on the size (and that would include setting, etc.)

Some others on this board might have other thoughts on this.

I can't comment on the price per foot but all of my fences have the tee posts 10' apart not 15' and I use 6 wires not 5. This helps keep the baby calves in. The cost for the extra wire is nil compared to having one of your calves get out

Oh also don't buy the Mexican tee posts from Tractor Supply. They are brittle and as you drive them the tops just shatter and break off.

johndeerefarmer":157zxhos said:
I can't comment on the price per foot but all of my fences have the tee posts 10' apart not 15' and I use 6 wires not 5. This helps keep the baby calves in. The cost for the extra wire is nil compared to having one of your calves get out

Oh also don't buy the Mexican tee posts from Tractor Supply. They are brittle and as you drive them the tops just shatter and break off.
I am with you, we usually set our t-post at NO more than 12ft except for some fence we did for the govt and they spaced them at 15 but we had to put 2 twist stays in between every post

5 wire was what we always put up for boundary fence did 4 wire for fencing off woods and interior fences unless it was a high pressure area and we did 6 wires

Latest posts