Better Websites

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I have a complaint, you would think that since King Ranch and Adams Ranch are so big and happen to have the foundation herd of two American breeds that they might have a better website to showcase there cattle. I would love to see some pics of there herd bulls and such. Or maybe it is a good thing that they dont have a good website, because this leads you to think that all ther time is dedicated to ranching and enhancing the performance of there cattle and not worrying about marketing there cattle. This is also a good thing.

Tell us how you really feel, Cokeman.
I tend to agree, nothing ticks me off more than to spend like 30 minutes trying to open a page with a 35k only to find out that the website doesnt even have any freakin photos. I mean if you are going to advertise your cattle on the internet you really need to have pictures. I especially hate when all they show is the EPDs. that really makes me want to smack someone in the noggin :!:

Been to the King Ranch and have seen their cattle. Your not missing anything. Personally Gert are only good for hand bags. ;-)

Scotty

Thanks Beefy......lol, I think we got our point across. would still like to visit the King Ranch. And see all those Santa Gertrudis, I think it would be awesome. What makes there cattle so bad Scotty?

CopeMan":1so8tngu said:
I have a complaint, you would think that since King Ranch and Adams Ranch are so big and happen to have the foundation herd of two American breeds that they might have a better website to showcase there cattle. I would love to see some pics of there herd bulls and such. Or maybe it is a good thing that they dont have a good website, because this leads you to think that all ther time is dedicated to ranching and enhancing the performance of there cattle and not worrying about marketing there cattle. This is also a good thing.

Agree, but don't know what else to say Cope. Been to Adam's but told you everything I could. Maybe you could pick up the phone and ask for more information. Their office number is on the web page. Mike Adam's is who you would probably need to speak to. Alto is in and out all of the time. Buddy Adams is unrelated but is the ranch foreman for Fort Pierce ranch where the headquarters is. Strangely, Alto is a photographer of Florida wildlife scenes. I would think they would have more photos also. They send us "special" signed ranch photos every year after we blow our wad at their sale. Seems like a heck of a price for a picture.

CopeMan":1fvjnjmt said:
Thanks Beefy......lol, I think we got our point across. would still like to visit the King Ranch. And see all those Santa Gertrudis, I think it would be awesome. What makes there cattle so bad Scotty?

TO me just not a good breed. Really what do they have to offer. For me nothing. I have had several that came from the King. They were stupid and not good mothers. If you want to get into them good luck. Maybe that was it I had bad with them. Just personal preference.

Scotty

My inlaws are traveling thru the South this winter. They went to the Kings Ranch and were not impressed. Said the buildings were all run down. Had expected a nice place. Didn't say much about the cattle - but they are not cattle people.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1d7z64ms said:
My inlaws are traveling thru the South this winter. They went to the Kings Ranch and were not impressed. Said the buildings were all run down. Had expected a nice place. Didn't say much about the cattle - but they are not cattle people.

Wow, that sounds pretty rough. I dunno I personally have never been but would like to make the trip. Just a thought, how could a ranch like that, that is so well known and, put out cataloges for furnishings and even have a Ford Series Truck named after them, and be as rich as they are with owning oil and even a John Deere Dealership, have run down buildings and look crumby? Or maybe it is I dunno, to me it does just not seem logical.

I think the King ranch folks are busy selling hides to Ford for the King Ranch edition trucks... make more $$ than selling that nasty ol' Gert beef. :p

I don't know how "run down" things were, but I do know they were disappointed. Like I said, they're not into "cattle" but even they knew of the King Ranch's reputation & couldn't pass up seeing it. They'll be home in a few weeks, I'll have to inquire some more about it.

The King Ranch is a very big and very popular ranch in the United States. I know some people that live in my neighborhood that has horses from the King ranch. I don't like there cattle, because they just aren't my type of breed. I think the King Ranch is 828,000 acres and is the nations biggest ranch. I wasn't impressed with there operation when i saw it this past summer. My farm is in better looking condition than the King Ranch. Well, gotta run! :cboy:

"My farm is in better looking condition than the King Ranch."

Yeah boy and my yard is probaly in better looking condition than your farm....probaly about the same comparison

Like someone has told me before, the ranches that dont look that great are the ones making money. All those ranches with show are in debt up to there eyeballs.

I think lots of folks are comparing true, traditional working ranches that made their living on cattle and land with the more modern ranches that made their money somewhere else and invested the profits in land and cattle for a writeoff.

Probably the nicest ranch I've been to is Express Limousin. However, the owner made the majority of his money in the temp personel business.

When compared to the large successful old time cattle ranches (RA Brown, King, 6666, and Leachman prior to going under), Express looks to be way ahead. However, these other ranches are functional and are making a living on cattle. To me, that's more important than having the whitest fences, nicest barns, or best whiskey at the sales.

But that's just me. I do admit, Express has put a nice set of cattle and land together with their money and are really good for the State of Oklahoma and 4-H/FFA programs. I just look at them different than the other ranches I mentioned.

Ryder":s7gszryd said:
CopeMan":s7gszryd said:
Like someone has told me before, the ranches that dont look that great are the ones making money. All those ranches with show are in debt up to there eyeballs.
I think there is some merit to what you said.

Cokeman,
You mean someone actually listens to what i have to say?! i'm not even close to guru status yet.

Think about it--if you have 828,000 acres, its hard to keep it all maintained for show and pay for the LAND and LABOR and MACHINERY and MATERIALS, etc. Now granted there may be a few ritzy looking places that arent in debt too bad but they have a non-farming/ranching income coming in somewhere. The old man at the salebarn--you know the one that looks like hes been beat with a stick and got one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peel--he's the one that has been in the cattle business for years. and probably drives the same truck he started with. hes the one you want to sit by and talk to. The 30 year old loud mouth with the new 350 and shiney trailer will be filing bankruptcy next year. Someone will probably get a deal on his new fencing and pasture with the expensive ET'd (nothing against ET) Angus out in the pasture too.

Beefy":3ameekrp said:
Now granted there may be a few ritzy looking places that arent in debt too bad but they have a non-farming/ranching income coming in somewhere. The old man at the salebarn--you know the one that looks like hes been beat with a stick and got one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peel--he's the one that has been in the cattle business for years. and probably drives the same truck he started with. hes the one you want to sit by and talk to. The 30 year old loud mouth with the new 350 and shiney trailer will be filing bankruptcy next year. Someone will probably get a deal on his new fencing and pasture with the expensive ET'd (nothing against ET) Angus out in the pasture too.

LOL. True, true.

Craig-TX

Beefy":1bw2d9t8 said:
Ryder":1bw2d9t8 said:
CopeMan":1bw2d9t8 said:
I think there is some merit to what you said.

Cokeman,
You mean someone actually listens to what i have to say?! i'm not even close to guru status yet.

Think about it--if you have 828,000 acres, its hard to keep it all maintained for show and pay for the LAND and LABOR and MACHINERY and MATERIALS, etc. Now granted there may be a few ritzy looking places that arent in debt too bad but they have a non-farming/ranching income coming in somewhere. The old man at the salebarn--you know the one that looks like hes been beat with a stick and got one foot in the grave and the other one on a banana peel--he's the one that has been in the cattle business for years. and probably drives the same truck he started with. hes the one you want to sit by and talk to. The 30 year old loud mouth with the new 350 and shiney trailer will be filing bankruptcy next year. Someone will probably get a deal on his new fencing and pasture with the expensive ET'd (nothing against ET) Angus out in the pasture too.

You know I listen to all that you say. Your a guru in my book

Latest posts