Better this time around?

Help Support CattleToday:

WolfLady

Reaction score
Well this is my second calf- tell me what yall think please. Got him sat.
Picture4059.jpg

Picture4058.jpg

Picture4057-1.jpg

Is he a little jersey cross? How old is he? He looks alert...that's good. If he's jersey holstein cross he's gonna look a little lanky for a while. How's he eating?

Alice

Jersy Holstien I belive he is eatting like crazy!! Also he kicks and plays like Lunch never did. His name is Ribeye

WolfLady":194pxify said:
1 to 2 weeks

Watch him close until you know he's at least 2 weeks old. If he scours, as long as he's eating, you'll probably do fine, 'cause he'll also take his electrolytes. Make sure you give him some probios every day...and put some calf starter dry feed out for him to nose around in.

When a jersey holstein cross does well, they do very, very well...grow like weeds. Like I said, just keep a close eye on him.

Alice

just an idea, but start shoving grain in his mouth. he's still young enough you might be able to turn him into a "beef" animal. I know it works with holstein calves so I dont' know why it wouldn't work with him but if you get them started gaining like that early they'll grow out instead of up.

He reminds me of the bottle calf the grand kids feed this summer. I too think he looks a little thin, but its hard to tell from the pictures. Are you usin a Medicated Milk Replacer? I've used Kent's Milk Replacer thats medicated for scours and havent had any problems for a long time, just a thought.

Alice":3c3i6mgz said:
WolfLady":3c3i6mgz said:
1 to 2 weeks

Make sure you give him some probios every day...and put some calf starter dry feed out for him to nose around in.

Alice

Alice, I'm curious. Why should she be giving this calf Probios? Nothing has been said about giving him antibiotics, bloat, scours, off-feed, refusing his bottle, or anything along those lines. Help?

msscamp":2tbrnsyc said:
Alice":2tbrnsyc said:
WolfLady":2tbrnsyc said:
1 to 2 weeks

Make sure you give him some probios every day...and put some calf starter dry feed out for him to nose around in.

Alice

Alice, I'm curious. Why should she be giving this calf Probios? Nothing has been said about giving him antibiotics, bloat, scours, off-feed, refusing his bottle, or anything along those lines. Help?

From what I understand and have read, probios stimulates eating. Plus, if the calf was bought at the sale barn, oh heck, ya' never know. For me, with a sale barn calf, anything that helps digestion is worth it...especially a dairy breed. Yeah, I've gotten pretty goosey with it comes to jerseys or holsteins or jersey/holstein crosses. So far, and this is going on 3 years now, probios hasn't hurt anything...so the way I look at it, if it doesn't hurt, and it might help, go for it. Just my thoughts.

Alice

Alice":f8shjn2c said:
msscamp":f8shjn2c said:
Alice":f8shjn2c said:
WolfLady":f8shjn2c said:
1 to 2 weeks

Alice

From what I understand and have read, probios stimulates eating. Plus, if the calf was bought at the sale barn, oh heck, ya' never know. For me, with a sale barn calf, anything that helps digestion is worth it...especially a dairy breed. Yeah, I've gotten pretty goosey with it comes to jerseys or holsteins or jersey/holstein crosses. So far, and this is going on 3 years now, probios hasn't hurt anything...so the way I look at it, if it doesn't hurt, and it might help, go for it. Just my thoughts.

Alice

Well, if it works for you - go for it! Thanks for the explanation. :)

msscamp":3cvucj2f said:
Alice":3cvucj2f said:
msscamp":3cvucj2f said:
Alice":3cvucj2f said:
WolfLady":3cvucj2f said:
1 to 2 weeks

Alice

Alice

Well, if it works for you - go for it! Thanks for the explanation. :)

You're welcome. ;-)

Alice

I really think it's the angle of the shot.

When we've bought holstein/jersey crosses from the sale barn, and that's the only place we've bought them from btw, they have all had that look about them. they're just lanky looking like that. I've said many times, "Dang, the calf looks half starved..." but it's not. And for some reason they keep that look for awhile. then once they start eating their dry calf feed it's almost like overnight, they start to grow across the back and really fill out.

At least, that's the experience we've had here.

Alice

Seems to me that all bottle calves, particulary dairy, look all sunk in just before feeding time. After wards they look great. Once they get into the other groceries it isn;t near as obvious

dun

All I know is what I see and he looks pretty. He will fatten up and make a fine calf.

Latest posts