better lucky than good.

Help Support CattleToday:

fatcattle

Reaction score
Had the neighbor put his Charlaios bull next to some five weight heifers last spring. Moved them the same afternoon, thought I got them gathered in time, apparently the bull was faster than I was. Had one start bagging down two weeks ago. Brought her in and put her on short rations. She had been on wheat pasture and was mud fat, needless to say I was nervous about how big the calf would be. She went into labor about three hours ago. Calf weighed 80 lbs and she just spit it out. A smokey bull that was nursing when I left. It's sleeting now and the north wind is blowing about thirty five. Blind luck is a wonderful thing!

You got lucky for sure. . My neighbor did the same thing to me a few years ago . I had to pull 5 calves . I talked to him and he kinda got pissy . Said I should move my heifers . IMO he should contro his bull . Anyway I told him next time I'll seed him home a steer .

In the neighbors defense I had never had anything but steers in that pasture. He was good about it and offered to move the bull. Had an empty pasture so just moved the heifers about two weeks sooner than I'd planned. He had the fence fixed before I could get done hauling cattle. He said that he would call this spring before turnout so we could keep it from happening again. He is one of the better neighbors to have around here.

Latest posts