Best way to use a Hot Shot

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":h0229fqt said:
I would be leary of the vet who says he will not work cattle if a hot shot is out. Not because of the hot shot issue... but because it shows he is not very open minded.

While I agree with some of your post, this I don't. Who is going to bring the business income in to the Vet who gets hurt because of a hotshot, no squeeze chute, in pasture work, ect. A veterinarian is a business person depending on his/her health to go the next day. He/she does not know most clients cattle. This is part of the reason we are seeing fewer and fewer bovine vets out there. All small animal and equine. For the most part small animals can't hurt to bad, equine clients pay through the nose, bovine clients bytch about the charges and has a much higher chance of getting hurt because of the "oh their okay" factor.

There are only a half dozen herds left around here of 200 or more, since he does their vet work I would assume they don;t use hotshots either.

Alan":1kix528e said:
Brute 23":1kix528e said:
I would be leary of the vet who says he will not work cattle if a hot shot is out. Not because of the hot shot issue... but because it shows he is not very open minded.

While I agree with some of your post, this I don't. Who is going to bring the business income in to the Vet who gets hurt because of a hotshot, no squeeze chute, in pasture work, ect. A veterinarian is a business person depending on his/her health to go the next day. He/she does not know most clients cattle. This is part of the reason we are seeing fewer and fewer bovine vets out there. All small animal and equine. For the most part small animals can't hurt to bad, equine clients pay through the nose, bovine clients bytch about the charges and has a much higher chance of getting hurt because of the "oh their okay" factor.

I would never ask a vet to do some thing they are not comfortable with. My personal business as an O&G contractor is very similar and I have no problems telling people what I will and will not do.

Saying you can't work cattle with a hot shot because it will always go bad is like saying all Brahman cattle are wild. It's the same narrow minded thought process. That's not a quality I would look for in any one coming out to do a job for me.

Brute 23":22nlb4wi said:
Saying you can't work cattle with a hot shot because it will always go bad is like saying all Brahman cattle are wild. It's the same narrow minded thought process. That's not a quality I would look for in any one coming out to do a job for me.

99% of the time that comment about the brahman cattle is correct, especially if you're tryng to pen and work them with a stranger around.

TexasBred":2hchqbo0 said:
Brute 23":2hchqbo0 said:

99% of the time that comment about the brahman cattle is correct, especially if you're tryng to pen and work them with a stranger around.

I've never needed a hot shot to get a brahman cow to go down the chute thats for sure. They will usually find the other end of the trailer pretty quick. :)

B&M Farms":sujcndz9 said:
I've never needed a hot shot to get a brahman cow to go down the chute thats for sure. They will usually find the other end of the trailer pretty quick. :)

By the time I get frustrated enough to pull out the hotshot I know dam well I don't use it right.