Best way to use a Hot Shot

Help Support CattleToday:

never bust them with a hotshot for no reason.when ive had to use 1 id buzz it without touching them.an they would generaly move.an ive been know to touch them without shocking them.you really have to learn when to use a hotshot.

The best advice I have ever heard on using a Hot shot is to leave it in the truck untill you think that you need it. Then go and get it, but before you use it try moving the animals again. Majority of the time when you go get the hot shot something changes and animals start moving with out using it. But if you have to use on use it sparingley and once the animals have heard the buzz and felt the shock, sometimes you do not have to hit them with it. Just turn it on over top of them.

Dogs and Cows":1w7lnvdt said:
Alan":1w7lnvdt said:
The best way is to never use it. Crazy cowboys make crazy cows.

First, I am not a crazy cowboy...so enough of that. This question stems from a question I asked earlier about keeping a too friendly bull out of my space. I already know I need it...now I would just like to know the best way to use it.

Lots of real informative posts on these boards... :bang:

Now with that information I would suggest just a plain stick instead of a hot shot. Use the stick to increase pressure on the animal without causing crazy. Point at his noise, eyes and he will turn away. Then push him further away. That should start with creating boundaries.

PS, I am a crazy cowboy and we never use hot shots.
The times I have seen one used usually resulted in some form of wreck, either personal relationship (trucker hot shot my dog, he was fired on the spot) or resulted in animals creating wrecks.

Dogs and Cows":3u51wn78 said:
Alan":3u51wn78 said:

First, I am not a crazy cowboy...so enough of that. This question stems from a question I asked earlier about keeping a too friendly bull out of my space. I already know I need it...now I would just like to know the best way to use it.

It was advice or a suggestion, you just choose to take it personal. I never called you a crazy cowboy, I said crazy cowboys make crazy cows. Simply meaning cattle will react to how the handler acts.

Every time I break a shovel handle or broom handle etc. it become a cattle prod. I usually just tap them with it or use it as an extension of my arm.

NMVaquero":nqepccqk said:
The times I have seen one used usually resulted in some form of wreck, either personal relationship (trucker hot shot my dog, he was fired on the spot) or resulted in animals creating wrecks.

Trucker got off easy.

Alan":qpkrt8dp said:
NMVaquero":qpkrt8dp said:

Trucker got off easy.

Amen.

Hot shots work good when your loading the trailer and headed for the sale barn. I have a few 3/4" x 4' pieces of PVC with caps on the ends and they work good for walking sticks and attention getters.

NMVaquero":1y3spjpb said:
Our vet has a hard and fast rule. When the hot shot gets broken out he gets in his truck and leaves.

dun":2zt3geqr said:
NMVaquero":2zt3geqr said:
Our vet has a hard and fast rule. When the hot shot gets broken out he gets in his truck and leaves.

Your signature line is fitting to this discussion.

dun":13i3zhiu said:
NMVaquero":13i3zhiu said:
Our vet has a hard and fast rule. When the hot shot gets broken out he gets in his truck and leaves.[/quote] dont blame him... i would'nt want to try to work on something thats just had its fuse lit...

Alan":3enn5x69 said:
NMVaquero":3enn5x69 said:

Trucker got off easy.

While I agree that the trucker has no right to hot shot your dog and that hot shots can and will cause wrecks. I have seen just as many wrecks caused by peoples dogs.
If someone showed up at my place to help work cows and brought a hot shot, I would tell them to leave it in the truck. Likewise if someone showed up at my place to work cows and brought their dog, I would tell them to leave the dog in the truck too. And if someone showed up to work cows with both a dog and a hot shot, I would probably tell them to stay in the truck.

Dogs and Cows":2rzlybps said:
Alan":2rzlybps said:

Never to get one out of my space. I may use a hotshot to move one foward in the chute as last resort or to get a downed cow up.
A bull in my space, I use a sawed off hoe handle. If it were to get real bad, I'll hit him a good whack right where his ear attaches to his head. If he is young and cost me enough I'll work real hard with him on the adjustment. Once we get that out of the way he's worked like the rest, gently, with a fiberglass sorting stick. If he doesn't come around to understand I'm the alpha being I don't need him.

fitz

ALACOWMAN":3gfmp1e7 said:
dun":3gfmp1e7 said:
NMVaquero":3gfmp1e7 said:
Our vet has a hard and fast rule. When the hot shot gets broken out he gets in his truck and leaves.[/quote] dont blame him... i would'nt want to try to work on something thats just had its fuse lit...

Funny this came up. Our vet uses (and overuses in my opinion) his hotshot when he comes to work our cattle. He's a young guy and really knows his stuff so as a newbie (more of an oldbie, but new to cattle) I haven't told him I don't want him to use them on our animals. When the day finally comes that I'm on the farm year round I'm going to lay down some ground rules on the use of his hotshot.

Latest posts