Best tire for livestock trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We were coming home from the Simmental Regional show in Stillwater, OK and blew TWO tires in about an hour's time in OK. Three years ago, we blew two tires in OK going to the Texas nationals. I am begining to NOT like OK roads!
We had the trailer checked before we left at a tire shop, and they said all 4 tires looked good. Two of the 4 were 4 years old, one was 3 years old, and the 4th tire was 5 years old, all 14 ply. The spare was brand new. A 3 hour drive home took us 7 hours after we had to wait for a second tire after we blew the first and put the spare on (both tires were the rear tires on the dual axel). We only drive long routes for regionals and nationals, so the tires do not get much wear. What is a good tire out there to put on the livestock trailer that will last more than 4 years?
1st flat

2nd flat

another shot, fender damage

I'm running Carlisle CSL16, and if I'm not mistaken I had to go from the 80 to the 85. Was blowing 2-3 of regular tread 14 ply trailer tires a year. Them Carlisle ones with just a straight tread on them have been on 2 years and no problems yet!

Any good load range E truck tire. Firestone, Michelin, BFG, take your pick. Actual trailer tires are garbage. I will probably have to replace my BFG's in the next couple of years and it will be Firestone all around.

7.5-16 is a little bit taller and a little bit narrower than what you have, but should fit OK. Mine came with the same tire size as yours has, and the hankooks fit. They have always lasted along time for me, with only one flat in several years, whereas the Chinese tires I haven't replaced get frequent flats.

I can stand behind most of your posts, but not this one. You say you had a tire shop check your tires? Why didn't you check your tires? 4 and 5 year old tires that don't get much use is asking for it, brand won't make any difference. Buy another wheel and carry another spare.

Aaron said:
Any good load range E truck tire. Firestone, Michelin, BFG, take your pick. Actual trailer tires are garbage. I will probably have to replace my BFG's in the next couple of years and it will be Firestone all around.

I agree, we always put light truck tyres on our trailers and they last forever. You can usually put more psi in them too and that in itself resists more punctures.

snoopdog said:
I can stand behind most of your posts, but not this one. You say you had a tire shop check your tires? Why didn't you check your tires? 4 and 5 year old tires that don't get much use is asking for it, brand won't make any difference. Buy another wheel and carry another spare.
We checked them, but when we go on long trips, we have the shop make sure the pressure is spot on and that there are no issues we do not see.
We are buying another rim to avoid future issues like this, to carry a second spare. We had the shop check the two that blew today, and they said the tires were NOT weathered and should not have failed. The warrenty expired 6/15 on both of the tires that blew... that really sucks!

littletom said:
Is the trailer running flat when loaded? I see alot of rigs for sure carrying more weight on the rear axle.
What do you mean by "flat" when loaded? We loaded the bull and heavy bred heifer in the front over the front axel, and the smaller heifers were over the back end, if that helps.

If you really want your tires to last it's a good idea to park on planks and cover the tires to protect from the sun. Of course, I don't do that but know that I should. :dunce:

Gladiator QR35-TR all steel belted, they look comparable to a semi trailer tire in person.

I'm goimg to have to agree with Snoopdog 4 or 5 year old tires are suspect with the quality these days.

Silver said:
If you really want your tires to last it's a good idea to park on planks and cover the tires to protect from the sun. Of course, I don't do that but know that I should. :dunce:

Agree. Something I also don't do. :dunce: :dunce:

I've had some Sailun 14ply on my trailer for several years now and they've been great.

There are different "grades" of 14 ply tires.. The ones I have have steel sidewalls, which is essential on my gravel roads, some are just nylon/poly sidewalls. These can take 105 PSI, I rarely have them over 70 and they NEVER look like they're running low on air.. I've had some decent loads on there, in once case I bent the axles

This was the first trip, 2nd trip I had 3 additional pieces on there, trailer was about 15K, total weight was around 27K

There are several factors likely in play here, but the single biggest one is probably age. If the tires on my stock trailers make it 3 years, I replace them for sure. Two years max on the ones I pull 200+ miles a week. I might keep the older ones around for spares or use them on something like a hay trailer that we never pull at high speed.

Which brings up my next point - most trailer specific tires are rated for a top speed of 60-65 mph. I try not to make a habit out of running over 65 loaded, but I know how those longer trips are going to shows, especially if you're traveling in a group. So I opt for good quality 10 ply truck tires for the same price range as average quality 14 ply tires, because they just take the speed and heat so much better. I wouldn't do it if I was getting above their weight rating, but I'm not. I believe Goodyear has a 14 ply trailer tire rated for 75 mph, but they're up around $300 apiece.

I ended up with a friends trailer Monday, hauling 8000# about 100 miles (mid afternoon at about 85 degrees), because he decided to send some while I was at his place and to get my trailer would've been a 30 mile back track. He bought new 14 ply tires last fall, and we checked when we hooked up and all 4 had 85 lbs and looked fine. Sure enough about half way there one blew, and when we got out and looked the other one on that side was very low. Once we got it (and the spare) aired up, we got back on the road and did the last 50 miles at 50 mph. I did notice those particular tires happened to be made in Korea, for whatever that's worth...

If I had left from my house planning not to come back I'd have had an extra spare, blocks and a small air compressor and we could've at least handled it ourselves. As it was, I called a friend nearby who came up with what we needed, thankfully.

We all get by with a little help from our friends...

No doubt cared for tires last a lot longer than those on a trailer that's just pulled out in a lot or worse yet field and abandoned till the next time needed....when the air pressure may not even get checked or trailer condition isn't even a thought.....mind is on something else and distracts you. I park mine on concrete or gravel and always have something to block the sun, especially from the west. I have good luck and like to run bias tires on my trailers. I had a set of "Shield" brand 8 ply bias, 700x15 on my tandem utility trailer for 10 years and never had a problem with them and you had to look hard to find any cracking.....had to bend the rubber in a U shape to see any...just changed because of age. I don't run them often enough to worry about difference in tread wear. I like the uniform construction of bias and before the advent of high ply radials , running radial take offs from my P/U truck, P 235 R15 as I recall, sidewall squirming of the tandem was non existent.

The Gladiator recommended by a previous poster is an excellent tire. We have run the 14ply and have had great luck with them. We try to keep our tires on at the highest recommended pressure as well. seem to last a little longer.

Latest posts