Best Terminal Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1rqw05fr said:
Massey would like you to show me where you can find a double muscled limousin bull in the US. For the most part limousin do not carry the double muscle gene.
Cross breeder Its fairly easy to find a Fullblood Limousin with a low birth weight.
I said double muscle LOOK, Apple butt is the word HC and the ORDER BUYER I spoke with used. That excessive rump and high flank, noted of heavy continental influence -mainly limo and gelbvieh- will get you docked a dime every time. That look, where the rump is disproportionate, is associated with poor quality grades. You know this. Top selling calves around here will have very little curvature to their rump from the profile.

Massey135":2h0omel6 said:
]
I said double muscle LOOK, Apple butt is the word HC and the ORDER BUYER I spoke with used. That excessive rump and high flank, noted of heavy continental influence -mainly limo and gelbvieh- will get you docked a dime every time. That look, where the rump is disproportionate, is associated with poor quality grades. You know this. Top selling calves around here will have very little curvature to their rump from the profile.

It can get you docked - - but not every time. Some folks love that apple butt look. You have to know your markets. Otherwise, yes, 1/4 continental is a safer sales barn sell than heavy continental. For you guys that sat in the front row during math but failed in marketing - - will you make more money on a 550# calf at $150@ or a 650# calf at $140?

I plan to sync and AI the entire herd in early August - - targeting 2 way wf cross replacements and 3 way 1/4 continental cross terminal depending on how much I like like the female - - then turn in a limi flex or balancer bull for clean up. I can not afford to raise a lot of replacements but I have a couple cow lines that I have grown to love so their heifers stay. Numbers are not everything.

100lbs is a bit much for the comparison but I get your drift. With a crossbred like a balancer or Limflex, the resulting calves may be 1/4 cont by blood but without stabalized genetics your gonna get calves that show from 1/2 to no continental influence and everything in between. Work with stabalized genetics IN GENERAL and I guarantee you'll be much happier. For example, all purebred gelbviehs are 92% Gelb - 8% Angus. This is a stabalized composite regardless what the association terms them. Their assoc might even allow 88% to be considered purebred now.

Massey135":3tpum4gc said:
100lbs is a bit much for the comparison but I get your drift. With a crossbred like a balancer or Limflex, the resulting calves may be 1/4 cont by blood but without stabalized genetics your gonna get calves that show from 1/2 to no continental influence and everything in between. Work with stabalized genetics IN GENERAL and I guarantee you'll be much happier. For example, all purebred gelbviehs are 92% Gelb - 8% Angus. This is a stabalized composite regardless what the association terms them. Their assoc might even allow 88% to be considered purebred now.

I'm curious. Does the 8% have to be Angus, or can it be some other breed?

Massey135":1ffym4e1 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1ffym4e1 said:
Massey would like you to show me where you can find a double muscled limousin bull in the US. For the most part limousin do not carry the double muscle gene.
Cross breeder Its fairly easy to find a Fullblood Limousin with a low birth weight.

Little slow tonight, but Massey, I ain't buying your assumptions. Limi's and Gelbvieh's showing more muscle expression than Charolis . If that's the case they must be growing some poor quality Chars in your part of Texas.
I
Order buyers here will snap up a good muscled calf in a heart beat

You're right, a lot of the Chars around here are more maternally oriented; a secondary effect of the Char assoc. pushing for lower bw and better quality grades. As a result, they are smoother made than a lot of the other continental breeds I see. It's the coarse muscled look, especially in the rump, that I'm seeing get docked.

VanC":1r1ysx15 said:
Massey135":1r1ysx15 said:

I'm curious. Does the 8% have to be Angus, or can it be some other breed?
You know, I'm not sure. I think so as most purebreds are black.

I ran across some fine looking fullblood gelbviehs in an old Gelbvieh World I have from maybe last June or July? Really liked the femininity in those cows. They didn't seem to be so course made like the growthier terminal type.

I have no clue who that is. Neither do the 1000:1 viewers to posters. No one learns anything from your circular logic. Work on your approach. Bring facts to the table. Don't get your panties in a wad jus bc you happen to raise a breed in discussion... Even if its in a negative connotation. I was at the Durant, OK sale today. Of all the beef calves sold today, none brought less cwt than a set of 6, 545lb- what appeared to be purebred red limo- heifers. Take the FACTS for what theyre worth.

Massey135":3bc4fpx5 said:
I have no clue who that is. Neither do the 1000:1 viewers to posters. No one learns anything from your circular logic. Work on your approach. Bring facts to the table. Don't get your panties in a wad jus bc you happen to raise a breed in discussion... Even if its in a negative connotation. I was at the Durant, OK sale today. Of all the beef calves sold today, none brought less cwt than a set of 6, 545lb- what appeared to be purebred red limo- heifers. Take the FACTS for what theyre worth.

Was this the regular auction, selling pens of 6 or was this a heifer replacement sale?

Massey135":1rsvft7s said:
yep redbull work on your approach.. this cattle raising is some complicated sht..so sit back and learn :cowboy:

houstoncutter":3vuj0y5o said:
Massey135":3vuj0y5o said:

Was this the regular auction, selling pens of 6 or was this a heifer replacement sale?

Regular auction. Most calves go through 1 at a time but when an owner has a like group they will run them in together. Lots of groups of 5-8. Some 10-15. Mostly 1s though. Here's the Top Selling report.

Top Selling Cattle - Durant Stockyards
May 30th

hd count, sellers location, weight, price

3 strs Bennington 357 186.00
5 strs Bells 330 182.50
2 strs Durant 355 182.00
2 strs Durant 385 181.00
3 strs Stonewall 365 177.00
2 strs Mead 445 176.00
5 strs Durant 436 171.00
5 strs Durant 532 158.00
6 strs Colbert 638 156.00
3 strs Durant 608 156.00
3 strs Colbert 725 146.00
3 hfs Durant 363 180.00
13 hfs Durant 422 170.00
10 hfs Mead 478 163.00
4 hfs Hendrix 530 160.00
4 hfs Bells 531 154.00
1 bull Kingston 2250 118.50

KNERSIE":3me07ro3 said:
Stocker Steve":3me07ro3 said:
KNERSIE":3me07ro3 said:
Fullblood Charolais or fullblood limousin.

My Limi cross calves look really good. They are running 77 to 116# for BW, with most of them in the 90s. I have had no assists.
My low birth weight BA calves are not even close for growth. I think there will be a 100# difference in weaning weight.

With the added growth and muscle, expect extra BW too. Used on mature cows both charolais or limousin are great terminal sires.

Using the watered down version makes no sense to me, not only will you lose muscle, bone and growth, but also hybrid vigour in a crossbreeding system. I agree the continentals isn't for everyone's situation, but if you can make it work it will pay off!

Just as long as you don't keep some of those great looking heifers, they just don't make great commercial cows for the most part.
the watereed down version comes in black. might make a better carcass also

Well Alabama i am a trying to learn it all, so far most of my learning about cows has been by spending alot of time around cattle. All these book learned folks make me a little spooky.

Took time to go into The Durant Stockyard report. Highs for the weight class Massey was talking about were as follows: #500-600 were 1.40 to 1.60 for heifers for steers which Massey didnt give the weight of but I would imagine it would be in the #600 range......steers were 1.45 to 1.56......Notice that heifers were selling for more than steers this tells me that you had buyers that were looking for replacement heifers....Thus most any straight bred animal would not bring as much as a good F1....Our Oakie friends are pretty savy cattlemen...they know the power of a F1 cow.....This would go a long way in explaining your price difference..

Of course if you say these were #2 heifers and steers then I would have to conclude that you just have some poor quality calfs.... because Limousin...for all their faults especially purebreds are gonna have #1 muscle

I kinda no the fellar that runs the Durant stockyard, may need to give him a call. Last time i was there he was a tell people there calves needed muscle.

Latest posts