Best Terminal Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
What is the best terminal breed for you to get maximum pounds and money?
For around here it would be charolais, and i see many people may answer the same way however has anyone ever used a blonde i knkow nothing about them just thouhgt it could be an option

I have some experience with blondes! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I suppose you refer to Blonde d`acuitaine. They are an exellent terminal breed. Very long, and smooth calves make for a relatively easy calving as compared to Charolais sired calves. Very good muscling, also in females, a great advantage over Limousine and Charolais in that regard. High growth, a tad lower than Simmental and Charolais, higher growth than Limousine.

Charolais. You won't get docked for that double muscling look on the rump that the limo with throw.

I ran a blond bull over brangus cows several yrs ago. They grew real well. Honestly, the females were much better than the males. I kept 6 or 7 as replacements. They had the best udders I've ever had on commercial cows. Perfectly level with a lot of forward volume. I know one thing though, they were highly susceptible to anaplasmosis. Lost 5 cows that yr. 4 were the blond crosses.

knersie i wouldnt want fullblood as the BWs are just HUGE most of my cows could handle 100 at a stretch but im staying at nothing over 90

Massey would like you to show me where you can find a double muscled limousin bull in the US. For the most part limousin do not carry the double muscle gene.
Cross breeder Its fairly easy to find a Fullblood Limousin with a low birth weight.

KNERSIE":3inc9we5 said:
Fullblood Charolais or fullblood limousin.

My Limi cross calves look really good. They are running 77 to 116# for BW, with most of them in the 90s. I have had no assists.
My low birth weight BA calves are not even close for growth. I think there will be a 100# difference in weaning weight.

Stocker Steve":3kscmujl said:
KNERSIE":3kscmujl said:
Fullblood Charolais or fullblood limousin.

My Limi cross calves look really good. They are running 77 to 116# for BW, with most of them in the 90s. I have had no assists.
My low birth weight BA calves are not even close for growth. I think there will be a 100# difference in weaning weight.

With the added growth and muscle, expect extra BW too. Used on mature cows both charolais or limousin are great terminal sires.

Using the watered down version makes no sense to me, not only will you lose muscle, bone and growth, but also hybrid vigour in a crossbreeding system. I agree the continentals isn't for everyone's situation, but if you can make it work it will pay off!

Just as long as you don't keep some of those great looking heifers, they just don't make great commercial cows for the most part.

Red Bull Breeder":18e0v79s said:
Massey would like you to show me where you can find a double muscled limousin bull in the US. For the most part limousin do not carry the double muscle gene.
Cross breeder Its fairly easy to find a Fullblood Limousin with a low birth weight.

You find some of those apple butted bulls let me know!!!!!! I want some more of em.

KNERSIE":b1eaf78d said:
quote] With the added growth and muscle, expect extra BW too. Used on mature cows both charolais or limousin are great terminal sires.

Using the watered down version makes no sense to me, not only will you lose muscle, bone and growth, but also hybrid vigour in a crossbreeding system. I agree the continentals isn't for everyone's situation, but if you can make it work it will pay off!

Just as long as you don't keep some of those great looking heifers, they just don't make great commercial cows for the most part.

I bought some horned Herfords starting out and wish I had more. By far the best commerical cow value I have purchased. They have been making baldies till now. Both the BA x and the Limi X calves run a little large, and I was concerned about calving ease the first couple years, but 100# calves just fall out of these sloppy old girls.

Yes, I am tempted by the looks of the Limi X heifers. I purchased two Limi flex with Wulf bloodlines in the past. Both looked good. One was a poor milker and a herd quitter. She is gone. The other has 75 to 80# calves and does fine. My baldy heifers don't look quite as nice but I almost never cull one once they are yearlings.

Im just not interesed in limos, i have no source of them but i can get simm, GV, hereford, and definately angus i like the looks of some of them but i like simm beter and it sounds like simm has more growth and an advantage in heifers. Also ive already been chased 3/4 of a mile by a cow this year and i dont like them mean ones i will likjely sel her

I have a farming background and I apply that to what I do regarding my cattle. There is something I do not understand regarding the cattle breeds promoted by many people posting their choices. I know for example that I cannot grow per acre the number of bushels of corn here as can be grown in say Illinois. Therefore I would fertilizer for what I can produce in a crop and still have a profit. I see the same thing with cattle. I just stated in another post that I do not supplement forages with grain. I know what I can produce here with my cattle and not add input costs that would increase my cost of production. With large frame cows and heavy milking cows that must eat more to maintain themselves and produce the calves being recommended how can you make a decent return per acre? Thanks

agmantoo":xpni8pm2 said:
I have a farming background and I apply that to what I do regarding my cattle. There is something I do not understand regarding the cattle breeds promoted by many people posting their choices. I know for example that I cannot grow per acre the number of bushels of corn here as can be grown in say Illinois. Therefore I would fertilizer for what I can produce in a crop and still have a profit. I see the same thing with cattle. I just stated in another post that I do not supplement forages with grain. I know what I can produce here with my cattle and not add input costs that would increase my cost of production. With large frame cows and heavy milking cows that must eat more to maintain themselves and produce the calves being recommended how can you make a decent return per acre? Thanks

The crux lies with small efficient cows for your environment bred to a terminal bull and sell ALL of the offspring. The terminal calf won't be as fat as a less growthy calf out of your cows, but that is exactly what the buyers want, a big growthy green calf and they are usually prepared to pay a premium for that. Add to that the extra lbs weaned and I cannot see why you won't make a decent return per acre.

But in essence I agree, its not for everyone or for all situations, I don't even do it myself.

agmantoo":1oluv9gl said:
With large frame cows and heavy milking cows that must eat more to maintain themselves and produce the calves being recommended how can you make a decent return per acre? Thanks

Selling big shiny seed stock :cowboy:

Latest posts