Best places to run cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
Wife and I are considering picking up and moving. She can find a job anywhere so that's not a concern. What areas of the country would you suggest that we look at?

It has some advantages and disadvantages. We're just kind of tired of somethings and thinking about picking up and going.

Interesting thing is we have folks moving back and forth between Missouri and Minnesota. They seem to skip right over Iowa. :lol: Folks going south are looking for scenic hills and warmer winter. Folks moving north are looking for flatter and cheaper ground. Hard to get it just right...

Was some data published a while back saying the SE part of the US was a low cost calf producer. Short winters and higher rainfall made for overall cheap forage. But, prices seem lower there also.

tdc_cattle":tr33feql said:
It has some advantages and disadvantages. We're just kind of tired of somethings and thinking about picking up and going.
Just SW MO or all of MO

Bright Raven":3m0qom6n said:
Central Kentucky is ideal.

800 acre flat place with barns, house, etc. all set up for cattle.. 2.4 million right now in central ky.

wish i had 2.4 million laying around :mad:

dun":lhdrb02a said:
tdc_cattle":lhdrb02a said:
Just SW MO or all of MO

If I had more acres I think I could do alright here. However there is to much competition from row crop farmers driving land prices up. It's not just that they have driven land prices up it's that if someone wants to sell something they start with one of 3 big operators and offer it to them. Usually nothing ever comes on the open market because one of the three has bought it before anyone else even knows it's for sale. They will pay $5k+ for land that still needs a thousand dollars an acre of improvements. They justify it by saying they bought $500 an acre land 30 years ago so it averages out.

FlyingLSimmentals":p7njjqej said:
Yeah I'll agree with Ron, Central Kentucky is some nice pretty cattle country. Sometimes I wish I was a bit farther east.

Moving east or west is more what we're thinking then north or south. Every time I drive to Atlanta I fall in love with Tenn between Nashville and Chattanooga. What parts of Kentucky would I google?

tdc_cattle":2yk49kfw said:
FlyingLSimmentals":2yk49kfw said:
Yeah I'll agree with Ron, Central Kentucky is some nice pretty cattle country. Sometimes I wish I was a bit farther east.

Moving east or west is more what we're thinking then north or south. Every time I drive to Atlanta I fall in love with Tenn between Nashville and Chattanooga. What parts of Kentucky would I google?

If you can afford it, the soil, climate, lay of the land, and beauty is magnificent around:

Paris
Georgetown
Stanford
Versailles ( which is the home of Shaun King, activist; leader of Black Lives Matter)
Springfield
Cynthiana
Danville

I'm really really nervous. The area i'm in has the cheapest land around. Heard that a big place we almost bought in the 90s for 300 an acre (AND WE KICK OURSELVES EVERY TIME WE PASS THIS PLACE), just sold for 2000. Its like 300 acres, open grazing land SW of our place. Anywho, waste management bought it..........YES!!!! WM...Now, the guy says he's just putting cows on it but i'm suspicious. Of course he's not going to tell all the people around here he's turning it into a dump until he has all the permits. I have no idea what it takes to get a dump started or if people around have any say....Husband says we'll move if they do so our ranch may be for sale soon..... His father had a place in Garland and a dump was put uphill from him. Made his well unusable..

Bright Raven":2291llaq said:
tdc_cattle":2291llaq said:
FlyingLSimmentals":2291llaq said:

If you can afford it, the soil, climate, lay of the land, and beauty is magnificent around:

Paris
Georgetown
Stanford
Versailles ( which is the home of Shaun King, activist; leader of Black Lives Matter)
Springfield
Cynthiana
Danville

Ron,
In regards to Versailles
But not where he resides, correct? My guess is either NY or ATL?

torogmc81":1w5h8xbr said:
Bright Raven":1w5h8xbr said:
tdc_cattle":1w5h8xbr said:

Paris
Georgetown
Stanford
Springfield
Cynthiana
Danville

Ron,
In regards to Versailles
But not where he resides, correct? My guess is either NY or ATL?

NY

cowgirl8":3o347wn6 said:
I'm really really nervous. The area i'm in has the cheapest land around. Heard that a big place we almost bought in the 90s for 300 an acre (AND WE KICK OURSELVES EVERY TIME WE PASS THIS PLACE), just sold for 2000. Its like 300 acres, open grazing land SW of our place. Anywho, waste management bought it..........YES!!!! WM...Now, the guy says he's just putting cows on it but i'm suspicious. Of course he's not going to tell all the people around here he's turning it into a dump until he has all the permits. I have no idea what it takes to get a dump started or if people around have any say....Husband says we'll move if they do so our ranch may be for sale soon..... His father had a place in Garland and a dump was put uphill from him. Made his well unusable..

It has to meet federal and state solid waste regulations. That does not imply that it will not be a nuisance. Odors, birds, noise, traffic, and lowering land values.

Look at it this way: it is fine with most citizens as long as it is not in their back yard.

Atlantic Richfield proposed a solid waste disposal site for Lower Area One mine waste near Anaconda, MT. I conducted the public meeting in a community center for the proposal. A rancher and his son got up to provide oral comments and included the statement that he would shoot anyone who moves equipment into the area. He owned the land next to the proposed site.

I was standing at the front of the room with a court reporter next to me who was taking down the oral comments. I looked back at the executives for Atlantic Richfield and caught the Vice Presidents eye ( Sandy was pretty and well over 6' 2", she played college basketball somewhere in New England). She and I just smiled. Now if that threat was made in eastern Kentucky, we would not have been smiling.

cowgirl8":2wi3zqyq said:
If Waste Management or any other company messed up his well he must be a multi millionaire. That just don't happen and be let go now days.

Latest posts