Best Locations

Help Support CattleToday:

melanie

Reaction score
Where is the best locations to start milking cows in U.S.A. Because we really think about starting somewhere else.Here in Canada with the quota system it's almost impossible.Just to milk 30 cows the quota cost 750,000$.

theres a few good states to milk cows in.alot depends on the climate you want tobe in as well.texas oklahoma new mexico idaho are the most popular.with what you say quata cost you could put a good down payment on a place.alot depends on how meny cows you want to milk.

California and Wisconsin are the top two dairy producing states by far. I think New York is third, but I won't swear by it.

Well we already thinking about it because we live in Quebec so it's not to far from our roots.Maybe Pennsylvania.Lancaster county seems real good for farming.

Oklahoma and Kansas are good dairy states. If I understand correctly, the regulations are still more lenient than other states, and there's an abundance of vacant dairy farms to purchase. The summer heat is the biggest problem you'd encounter........

Try to find a location with low humidity, abundant water supply and/or rights and good proximity to feed ingredients if you dont' plan to grow your own grain. Arizona and NM at 115 are better than Texas at 85 degrees. No humidy...and alfalfa will grow like wild. And containment of potential contaminants is much easier when you have such rapid evaporation. But as mentioned NY and Wisconsin work well too.

If you are planning on buying a farm in Lancaster Co. Pa. I hope you have deep pockets. :shock: :shock:

Some real estate agent are already in touch with us and they said we should rent instead to buy in case we don't like it.Of course Lancaster Co is really expensive but on rent it's look better at least to start.

melanie":37terepr said:
Some real estate agent are already in touch with us and they said we should rent instead to buy in case we don't like it.Of course Lancaster Co is really expensive but on rent it's look better at least to start.

I would say Missouri, very nice weather, sometimes a lil hot in summer, this winter will be mild, cheap taxes, land has gone up since the 90's but I think thats the case everywhere.

WI, now you couldn't pay me to milk in that state. I know a few people who have, and between the cold winters, and the taxes, not a good thing.

GMN

Latest posts