best hardwater soap scum cleaner

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
anything's got it...after we wash the truck..even if we dry it glass has it on it...

how bout the shower...cleaning that's a pita...

no commercial stuff works for crap

Hard water was the bane of my existence when we lived in WI and I never found anything that would remove the spots, even CLR, vinegar & baking soda didn't do squat. Switched to a water softener, have had one since '98 & will never go back. The only thing that does seem to help - prior to the damage - is car wax, even used it on the shower door. I feel your pain and good luck!

Hard water and soap scum build up can require two separate approaches.
Hard water mineral deposits generally are calcium based and can be removed with acids. The strength and type of acid depends on the surface being cleaned. Glass, I recommend...in ascending order of strength... vinegar, lemon juice, or mild to med. strength phosphoric acid, well diluted hydrochloric acid. Any stronger will start to etch glass.
Plastics and fiberglass are pretty tough and can take med strength phosphoric and hydrochloric acids.
Painted finishes are somewhat delicate, multiple applications of mild to med strength phosphoric would be my choice.
Limestone and marble will etch with the mildest acids. If its a polished finished, you're pretty much screwed, though re-polishing is possible, just expensive. Most other natural stones are not acid sensitive and milder solutions can be used.
Ceramic tile can take a relatively strong acid, but the grout is acid sensitive, so again, fairly mild solutions of phosphoric or hydrochloric will work.
Raw metals and stainless steel can stain from acids depending on strength of acid.
Always neutralize afterward with baking soda or ammonia.

This is the product I use for anything that needs something stronger than vinegar or lemon juice. Its a fairly strong concentration so I dilute with water for appropriate strenth to the task. It can be found in the paint dept at the home centers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip- ... /100406369

Another excellent general household purpose product is a cleanser called Bar Keepers Friend. Its an old time cleanser with oxalic acid that does an amazing job on textured fiberglass.

ive heard of barkeepers friend. but ya gotta rub it..boooo

I have a softener...still get it

I used joy soap and vinegar has worked the best so far....but the vinegar smell is stiff...sinks and showers at the drains are the worst but the chrome and windows on angels brand new truck don't make me happy either

In showers, we learned out in San Angelo legendary hard water, use only Zest soap bars. Other brands, wouldn't lather up and left hideous scum and calcium deposits. When we first arrived there in the early 90s, an old hand at my work place told me something I've never forgotten about that Concho River water source. I can't really repeat it here word for word tho.
The cleaned up version, with brackets indicating the substituted words in place of what he actually said:
The water's so hard around here our wives would rather [engage in feminine hygiene] than [engage in intercourse].

Latest posts