Best guard dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Sam (Australian Shep) and Danny (Boxer) were the best guards a man could want. Since SAMs passing Danny is a bit overworked and I believe he needs a friend to share in the duties of guarding against meth addicts. Danny is a scary sight at 120lbs, but he would sell his soul for a chicken nugget, possibly even a chocolate covered peanut. I loved Sam dearly (after he turned 3) but don't want another Aussie. So, what would be your choice for a guard dog for a family with kids. I'm not apposed to a biter, I don't like company anyway and prefer you not get out if your car and have to honk or call to gain entrance.

Lab! Second choice Rottweiler. Better yet......Rottweiller/ Lab cross. One of the best dogs I have ever had! :D

How about a bear? Bet people ain't getting out of their cars!

Oh, forgot, must be good with children.

One of the best guard dogs I know is my friends Pitbull, friendliest dog in the world if his owner says you're OK, but not knowing him you'd of course not be taking chances. If he knows you he is still dangerous, his tail will leave welts on your leg if he hits you with it!

More the dog than the breed. Whatever you get, if you get them 8-10 weeks old, they'll bond well with the family. Don't get them around a bunch of people and they'll more likely be anti-social with anyone but the family.

Pound for pound, I like a big healer. Most don't know that they don't weigh 250lb or better. They'll bond tight to the kids and follow them everywhere. They enjoy when strangers run. They're territorial and will stick around.

Have had some great german shepherd mixes. Like them better than pure bred as they'll have less genetically related problems. Generally big dogs that don't like strangers around. Protective of kids.

I'm just not a Rottie, Pit, Akita, Chow, etc.. fan. There are good dogs in the breeds, but I don't want them left alone with my kids.

Pitbull or Rott. Years ago there was a breed developed called the "American Guard Dog", doberman and great dane cross.

If I was in the market for the dog you are looking for, I'd get a German Shepherd.

You have a good breed--boxer. But proper training and handling is essential with any of them.
First step Is obedience training to do as you say (none of this obedience for treats stuff).
How you talk to the dog is important. Command, don't baby or whine.
They must know "no". They are not to be friendly with strangers (no) unless you say ok.

Two best dogs I have ever seen was boxer x dane and boxer x weimaraner.
Next on my list would be German Shepherd.
All of these dogs are intelligent and relatively easy to train.

Well I have had all sorts of dogs but as I have said before I never had a dog until I got my first Aussie...

curious why you don't want another....

I didn't have kids with my Aussies but man were they protective of my wife....

Since the police and everyone uses German shepards that would be the best especially with 3 little ones running around
Don't trust a Doberman. I'll show you the scars from when I was a kid and had my on dog bit me and he wouldn't let go either, he locked on and my dad had to beat him off

I have had two different blue heelers and both of them has been the same they are nice to me and the family but if a stranger comes into the drive way they better not get out of the car!

CBR (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) Dual purpose dog. Guard dog and a duck/dove retrieving machine. I adopted one 9 years ago from a shelter and she was 18mo old at the time. very high strung and we did not know how protective she was until I went out of town once and my mother came by and she would not let her come in the house because the kids and my wife were alone. And until she died she was over protective if I was not home. If I was home she did not care who came over.

M5farm":2ypbiz16 said:
CBR (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) Dual purpose dog. Guard dog and a duck/dove retrieving machine. I adopted one 9 years ago from a shelter and she was 18mo old at the time. very high strung and we did not know how protective she was until I went out of town once and my mother came by and she would not let her come in the house because the kids and my wife were alone. And until she died she was over protective if I was not home. If I was home she did not care who came over.

Did you also find her to have a serious amount of concrete between her ears :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: . Love Chessies but training them is similar to training a rock wall.

I remember one at the hunt club we used to belong to that at the age of nine or ten had a Volkswagen back over his neck while he was asleep(he was deaf by then) he jumped up and bit the car several times. He could be one mean sob but a duck machine.

My sister raised Aussies for many years. The Aussies, Heelers, and any of the "cow dog" breeds can be great with children until they get protective of you or their space.
My grandchildren played and loved on one daily, until one day it attacked my grandson for getting too close to "it's spot" on the couch. I have seen them turn on family, (in the same household) if not monitored closely.
I am a firm believer that there are huge differences between individual dogs, (and you should not stereo type by breed) but their instincts to control and protect can work against you if not properly handled.
Almost never had one that we did not have to "put up" if the kids had friends over. Just my :2cents:

3waycross":1k0ka1vx said:
M5farm":1k0ka1vx said:

Did you also find her to have a serious amount of concrete between her ears :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: . Love Chessies but training them is similar to training a rock wall.

I remember one at the hunt club we used to belong to that at the age of nine or ten had a Volkswagen back over his neck while he was asleep(he was deaf by then) he jumped up and bit the car several times. He could be one mean sob but a duck machine.

YES- Hard headed was an understatement. With chessies you have to be willing to adapt your training methods to get them to respond. I could get her to do anything but getting her to that point was exhausting. She had a hard mouth with Doves. the first few years before dove season I would kill a couple and put blunted nails in them a freeze em. when we would get to the field I would place them on the ground under some trees and would just shoot and have her hunt them. she got where she would pick all of the doves up by the wings. I even trained her to retrieve my decoys. I miss that dog!

3waycross":je43yy4l said:
That's an insult to rock walls!

I have owned Cocker Spaniels, Aussies, Blue Heelers, Labs and one Doberman and they were all family friendly but to this day the toughest dog I have ever owned is a Jack Russell. They are small but faithful,loyal and very brave. At this time in my life all I need is a warning of an intruder, my 357 will handle the rest.

Latest posts