Best grass for pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

W-5

Reaction score
I have just been given access to about 30 acres of pasture land. It is covered in weeds, and not much grass. I was thinking that I would mow the pasture, and over seed with rye grass for the winter. With that said, I would like to get some good forage for summer grazing. The land is located about 45 miles north of Dallas, and is black land. What in your opinion would be the best option, and how would you plant it? I would really like to be able to broadcast it, because I have a spreader.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

First off I would add some clover into your seed to gain a little nitrogen.
Check out WW B Dahl. I place it's growth and palatability right along with Tifton 85. It will also produce more forage with less water.
It can be spread with a broadcast spreader if the chaff has been removed. (Turner seed). Soil prep is minimum. Graze or shred close, spray with roundup. Broadcast 10 days later. 2 to 3 days of light rain will germinate the seed. Phosphorous must be adequate as per soil test. Apply now for spring planting.

Get a soil sample, so you know what you are dealing with. Don't plant a permanent pasture grass as you will not benefit greatly from that.

1. Mow it short
2. Let it regrow a bit
3. Nuke it with 2 quarts of roundup per acre, chisel plow it / disk it several times to get a good seed bed
4. Plant it in Rye @ 2.5 Bu/acre
5. Graze it Dec 1 thru March 15th
6. chisel plow it, disk it, plant tiff leaf millet, buy more cows

First check to see whether the grass is sod forming (spreading) or bunching (forms clumps). If the grass is sod foaming you will have to work according to it. Bermuda Pasture grass seed makes for excellent pasture grass seed for cattle.

greybeard":30iu90hr said:
45 mi North of Dallas.
B Dahl does good that far north?
(good grass, but gawd that stuff stinks)
It was developed at Texas Tech just for your area.
It is that smell that runs off the fire ants. Personally I don't find it offensive.

I have a little of it--planted about 5 acres in fall 2011 just to try it. Did ok till this year when we got a lot of rain in March and July. It don't like wet ground. 3 acres on a hill did fine--the rest down in a low spot turned yellow and died.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about the B-Dahl, I'm thinking of trying some this spring. I have Klien and Wilman Love grass planted and have had good luck with it.

Latest posts