Best cash flow for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Just looked it up.

A Texas Agricultural Tax Exemption can be used as a land owner uses their land for hay production, raising livestock or managing wildlife. It also can be used for hunting or have their land used as agricultural productivity. This means pastureland, mixed timber, native pasture, wildlife management or if they apply for hunting lease. There are different acreage requirements between the counties but are typically required to have at least 3 acres for goats and sheep and 20 acres minimum for cattle.

Caustic Burno":uk57nw0d said:
wacocowboy":uk57nw0d said:
I know few guys with small places

One guy plows his every fall and plants oats and runs feeders

One guy goes to the auction each week and only buys skinny bulls then fattens them and sells them. Better have good fences if you have neighbors with cows in heat. Most of the bulls are old but they love a cow in heat.

Another guy buys the best 800lb heifers he can find breeds them to his LBW Angus bull then sells heavy bred. We have a running joke about that bull getting around 15 virgins every year.

The last guy buys any 6 years and up 7months or more bred calves them out then sells either as pairs if cow is still good or sells at 5 months cow for slaughter calf for feeder.

I don't get into other people's money business so don't know how much they make but they make some and get to claim a tax exemption on places smaller than 40 acres.

Unless the law changed in Texas all you need is ten acres in production to claim the exemption.

Yeah I wasn't speaking really as to the law just saying they are making a go of it on a small place. According to your other post the guy with bulls is just a hair over the 20 acre limits. I've never asked but I doubt it is more than 25 and I has a house and barn on it.

wacocowboy":111wy2ry said:
Yeah I wasn't speaking really as to the law just saying they are making a go of it on a small place. According to your other post the guy with bulls is just a hair over the 20 acre limits. I've never asked but I doubt it is more than 25 and I has a house and barn on it.

If you already have an ag-exemption it is pretty easy to tag on for small parcels elsewhere. Fertilize it and bale it. or park equipment on it. They were balking at me and I took aerial photos. Hay was stored on one end, cows in the middle, and equipment on the other end. They added it on.

trin":rpr078s8 said:
Wanting to get you folks opinion. If you have 36 acres what would be the best way to make money in cattle?

Rustling is probably the only sure way. Just don't get caught. Or shot!

No one takes kindly to it. Your robbing individuals who are struggling. They're trying to earn a nickel too. You would be the worst sort of life form known to man. 5 generations from now you'll still be remembered.

Latest posts