Best angus crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Caught some of the TC Ranch sale today on TV. They sold angus and SimAngus bulls. I have to say: The SimAngus made the Angus look PUNY. I've also seen some limo/angus ("Limflex") and gelvbieh/angus (Balancer) bulls that look really good, too.
My question: Which of these angus crosses will give me the heaviest calves at weaning time? Also, which will perform best post weaning with feeding (I usually condition my calves for around 90-120 days)?
I appreciate your opinions.

All of them have potential to give you heavier calves. More important to me than what breed would be picking a bull that compliments my cows on more than one trait. You never know, you may want to keep some replacements.

If your not worried about color the best calves I've had were Sim-Char-Ang, for having angus in the mix, but I really like the mix without angus. ;-)

sim.-ang.king":2rrt8xpt said:
If your not worried about color the best calves I've had were Sim-Char-Ang, for having angus in the mix, but I really like the mix without angus. ;-)
Kind of ironic that you go by the handle "sim-ang king"...

I like the balancers because i raise them. My bull calves last fall avgd close to 700lbs with grass and mommas milk and all the cows bred back.

That's about all you can ask for. It would help to know where you are located. Some breeds need more grass than you may have available!

700 lbs with no creep is awesome..Strong argument for balancers.
I'm in KY and it takes around 2 1/2 A per cow/calf. Not sure how that ranks with CO.

Lazy M":2dxejs42 said:
700 lbs with no creep is awesome..Strong argument for balancers.
I'm in KY and it takes around 2 1/2 A per cow/calf. Not sure how that ranks with CO.

I imagine that you can use any breed you want with that kind of feed. Do your homework and choose the breed that suits you. I like what i raise but there's nothing wrong with Limo's or Sim's either one are good cattle!