Best Angus Calves This Year?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill,
Do Confidence cows have enough milk? What is your goal for milk epd for your cows?

Air gator":3hs23xwv said:
From what I have seen, people who have Bismarcks like Bismarcks.
His docility is about breed average. What is your experience with Bismarck's calves behavior?

Till-Hill...what is the right type of heifer/cow to use Confidence?

Var Generations seems be hot right now. What can you tell us about SAV Ten Speeds?
Bismarks won't fix a foot problem but does everything else about perfect. Good honest cattle. Been using him for years on commercial hfr projects. Just started using him again on our registered cows.

Confidence really makes me mad he won't freeze anymore what I heard. One of the few bet the ranch heifer bulls where the steers/bulls grow and the heifers are fancy enough to show. He is a once in a lifetime bull since I've been raising cattle. I've used him on every breed/type out there. Best thing I've seen is he has added some fleshing ability and udder soundness. We have a 2nd calver here that is an ideal cow. Her mother not so much. Fixed every problem! He may be shorter on milk than his epd shows here but I used rest of my semen in hopes of a bull to cross back on these accurel and Bismark daughters.

Yes they have united. I bred 35 heifers to him for Jan. 15 calves. He was 10$ a straw this year, regularly 30$. Normally I breed all heifers right answer. He is hard to beat

Air gator":3g3a6la6 said:
Till-Hill,
Do Confidence cows have enough milk? What is your goal for milk epd for your cows?
Quick data here but ours weaned off calf 3/9 so enough milk yes, she could use some more but her mothers calves have always been robbing lil sons a guns.

I don't really have a goal in mind as a number with any EPD. I know in our area the Power Tool's don't work. Me and a buddy both had one drop out last year as 2nd calvers. Just got to late but man did they raise some big ones.

Till-Hill":3bs9nx17 said:
Jez I didn't answer your first question. I've never seen a bad disposition Bismark to tell you the truth.
I can show you a couple but they didn't get any help from their mommas. :D Bismark is a name I really like to see in a pedigree.

Here's my third Comrade heifer this year, pic just taken this evening. She'll be 6 weeks' old tomorrow. Comments? Thanks!

Boondocks,
You have a pretty nice cow to start with, but that is a really nice calf.
I'll be breeding more to Comrade after seeing his calves. I didn't think his heifer calves would have so much muscle or body.

cow pollinater":3jqbiz1a said:
Till-Hill":3jqbiz1a said:
Jez I didn't answer your first question. I've never seen a bad disposition Bismark to tell you the truth.
I can show you a couple but they didn't get any help from their mommas. :D Bismark is a name I really like to see in a pedigree.
Me to CP we got 3 et calves here out of 004 cows. Bismark really slowed them down.

Air gator":1ta0hayd said:
Boondocks,
You have a pretty nice cow to start with, but that is a really nice calf.
I'll be breeding more to Comrade after seeing his calves. I didn't think his heifer calves would have so much muscle or body.

Thanks! I like all 3 heifers so far. Will be interesting to see how they grow out. Like I said, we got a steer from him last year that I'm less thrilled with so far. (He's a full brother to the #16 heifer calf I posted earlier). But to be fair, we haven't babied him. They're all grass-fed and he's had to compete with the big 'uns all winter. I hope and expect that we'll see a big difference in him over the next year. We're getting ready to butcher 2 Weigh Up steers that look great (knock wood!)

boondocks":2p9ge0r1 said:
Here are 2 of our 3 Conneally Comrade heifers so far this year. (Three more calves due any day). The steer we got from him last year I'm not that impressed with this spring. But I like these 2 girls so far. The one on the left was born in the late March snow, and the one on the right was born in the April sleet. She got sick but pulled through and has grown amazingly since then. Like all of the Comrade calves we've had so far, they were small at birth but vigorous and take off growing.
What do you think of them?
One of our bulls this year at sale was a comrade and he was by far MY favorite. A friend purchased him at the sale. Very interested in how he does this year and what his calves will look like come spring.

I think they get better and better as they grow.

My two favorite bull calves this year, happen to be out of our SAV Studbook and Up N Coming. But overall, SAV International (herbster) and SAV Resource. We've heard problems with International producing big calves and needing pulled but we haven't. His EPD's reflect what others are stating. He's one we always buy more of, year after year but we do throw him in our older cows. Resources, people have very mixed emotions about his calves. We love them.

I think Studbook is surprising us as we use more of him.

NEFarmwife":245dyvaa said:
One of our bulls this year at sale was a comrade and he was by far MY favorite. A friend purchased him at the sale. Very interested in how he does this year and what his calves will look like come spring.

I think they get better and better as they grow.

My two favorite bull calves this year, happen to be out of our SAV Studbook and Up N Coming. But overall, SAV International (herbster) and SAV Resource. We've heard problems with International producing big calves and needing pulled but we haven't. His EPD's reflect what others are stating. He's one we always buy more of, year after year but we do throw him in our older cows. Resources, people have very mixed emotions about his calves. We love them.

I think Studbook is surprising us as we use more of him.

Finally just got a Comrade bull calf. As a small operator, we always just steer the "boys" but we may let this one grow out a bit and see what he's got. He's to a first-timer though, so I doubt he makes the cut.
Have had several people wanting bull calves this summer, and we didn't have any.

Latest posts