Best Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

A few more words of wisdom:

• Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong.

• Keep skunks and bankers at a distance.

• Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

• A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.

• Words that soak into your ears are whispered…not yelled.

• Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.

• Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.

• Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.

• It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.

• You cannot unsay a cruel word.

• Every path has a few puddles.

• When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.

• The best sermons are lived, not preached.

• Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.

• Don't judge folks by their relatives.

• Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

• Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

• Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none.

• Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a Rain dance.

• If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

• Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.

• The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.

• Always drink upstream from the herd.

• Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

• Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in.

• If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

• Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.

• Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

• Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

On finances, my grandfather used to say "Don't stick your neck out further than you can pull it back in, even a dumb ole turtle knows better than that."

A pretty smart fella told me that If you take care of your credit it will take care of you someday, and he was right.

I never borrowed one dime that I didn't pay off early or at least on time.

Jogeephus":1kqocwac said:
slick4591":1kqocwac said:
Dad told me that if I got interested in a girl and was thinking about marriage it was best to visit her early one morning and look at her mom before she got a chance to put her makeup on.

That's good advice. Told my boys same thing. Some of us are really slow though as the tattoo of the black widow on my MIL's shoulder should have told me something but..... :bang:

Lammie":1kqocwac said:
Once in your life, live somewhere unusual. Above a funeral home, behind a dorm, above a barn... It gives you good stories to tell.

Lived in a barn for two years. It was cold and dreary at times but I had a wonderful time. Used to drink beer and catch mice for entertainment. Caught 16 in one night. It was the simple things that seem to be memorable.
heck catching them was too easy we got the 22s out and would sit in the dark with just the glow of the street light and shoot them
put some ventilation holes in the side of that tin can we was living in also

In the immortal words of Robert Frost, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Honor thy mother and father so that your days will be long upon the earth.

Rear them up in the ways of the Lord and they shall not depart from them.

Respect the wisdom of the grey hair, when they speak shut up, listen and you WILL learn something.

My dad's favorite: Spare the rod and spoil the child...I am not spoiled...lol

On finance it depends on how much ambition you have.

Of course I am on the other side of the world, but over here pay off your house, owe nothing and earn money and you will do nothing but pay tax. I am not saying that is a bad thing.

But there are other things you can do, which you probably are doing, like running a farm and having cows and that lowers your tax and then you find that you are being paid at Tax time instead of them taking it.

One I passed on to my son,

A little dog was crossing a railroad track. A train came along and cut off the tip of his tail. The little dog spun around to see what had just happened. The train then cut off his head.

Moral of the story .... don't loose your head over a little tail.

Bama":1sqxl6j9 said:
One I passed on to my son,

A little dog was crossing a railroad track. A train came along and cut off the tip of his tail. The little dog spun around to see what had just happened. The train then cut off his head.

Moral of the story .... don't loose your head over a little tail.

Darn I wish I had heard that one sooner. :frowns:

Dad always said worst beatin you will take is the one when you catch someone running away from ya. He also said boy telling you once is more than enough. :lol2:
And as far as women he also said after a few years of marriage they all get Craby(puttin it nice) so ya better start with one that loves to smile.

Grandpa always said $hlt in one hand and wish in the other and see what gets full first. than laughed and finished with so remember if ya want somethin in this life work for it.

Lon":2ldy2o7v said:
Dad always said worst beatin you will take is the one when you catch someone running away from ya. He also said boy telling you once is more than enough. :lol2:
And as far as women he also said after a few years of marriage they all get Craby(puttin it nice) so ya better start with one that loves to smile.

Grandpa always said $hlt in one hand and wish in the other and see what gets full first. than laughed and finished with so remember if ya want somethin in this life work for it.

Your Grandpa was a pretty sharp fella! :tiphat:

One of my dads old stand bys when us kids would be sniping at each other, "The more you stir it the more it stinks".

here's one from an old fellow neighbor of ours

Don't go to school too long or you'll miss out on your education

so I went to university for 2 years and decided I couldn't bear the thought of 6 more years of pushing a pencil, so I went to work with my hands.

Never put off until tomorrow what doesn't need to be done at all

Lon":xkzz0e6t said:

My grandmother used to say the exact same thing, only in Afrikaans. Wonder whether it was a more universal saying in yesteryear that got translated? She was born in 1904 and her English was pretty much non existent.

KNERSIE":3a8zro54 said:
Lon":3a8zro54 said:

My grandmother used to say the exact same thing, only in Afrikaans. Wonder whether it was a more universal saying in yesteryear that got translated? She was born in 1904 and her English was pretty much non existent.
I knew an old Norwegian that said the same thing

Latest posts