Bermuda Guys

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Being in the desert I have seen some guys have success with bermuda in water ways, seasonal lake bottoms, low spots that catch runoff and etc.
I have a few places I'd like to try either midland or coastal(maybe too cold here for coastal) but it is not possible to get a tractor/plow in these places
Would feeding round bales in these places work to get it started or is there a way to sprig without plowing ?

cross_7":1r3evd3n said:
Being in the desert I have seen some guys have success with bermuda in water ways, seasonal lake bottoms, low spots that catch runoff and etc.
I have a few places I'd like to try either midland or coastal(maybe too cold here for coastal) but it is not possible to get a tractor/plow in these places
Would feeding round bales in these places work to get it started or is there a way to sprig without plowing ?
I'm not a Bermuda guy. More of a PHD. And no you can't.

Isomade":46qaadbj said:
cross_7":46qaadbj said:

More of a BSD - Doctor of BS :D
Anyway to hand sprig ?

cross_7":2zn1p05v said:
Isomade":2zn1p05v said:
cross_7":2zn1p05v said:

More of a BSD - Doctor of BS :D
Anyway to hand sprig ?
Yes, if ya got unlimited time and 150 Mexicans. Or just want a yard sized spot. :lol:

The yard sized spot is actually a good idea. You should just hand sprig you a half acre to see what your results are. If it works out then go farther with it. Could save you a lit of $ in the long run. Why can't you disc the ground?

Yes you can get Coastal started by feeding hay. I have places in the woods that have coastal on them now from feeding hay. Seems to work better with fresher hay. I fed some 3 year old coastal this year that had roots growing out of the bottom of the bale so thick it pulled the net of when I picked them up.

Gunner":s7vwy6lm said:
Yes you can get Coastal started by feeding hay. I have places in the woods that have coastal on them now from feeding hay. Seems to work better with fresher hay. I fed some 3 year old coastal this year that had roots growing out of the bottom of the bale so thick it pulled the net of when I picked them up.
It's rare, takes very fresh hay, and typically fresh undisturbed ground. Which is why it worked in the woods. Cross lives in basically desert land.

Isomade":6opxry59 said:
The yard sized spot is actually a good idea. You should just hand sprig you a half acre to see what your results are. If it works out then go farther with it. Could save you a lit of $ in the long run. Why can't you disc the ground?

It's a creek bottom/wash in a native mesquite pasture so lots of mesquite trees, thorns, stumps and steep banks in places.

Gunner":2bhwt5ig said:

I have seen places were guys have fed coastal and have bermuda growing there but it may have had some native in it and came up from seed.

cross_7":35gzl40x said:
Isomade":35gzl40x said:

It's a creek bottom/wash in a native mesquite pasture so lots of mesquite trees, thorns, stumps and steep banks in places.
Hiw much acreage are you talking about?

Isomade":3f6715x4 said:
cross_7":3f6715x4 said:
Isomade":3f6715x4 said:

Hiw much acreage are you talking about?

I'd say varies to 20-80' wide and 1/2 mile long

You can take an old small disc. Disc the spots that you can. Pitch the sprigs out by hand and disc them in. You will need to do a soil test and fertilize to spec. Then I highly recommend a preemergent. If it works it will spread to the other areas. I also recommend you try a small spot first.

Can you throw the sprigs out by hand and use a 4 wheeler with a disc to run over it ? Or catch it damp and throw out the sprigs and run the cows in the area ?

Yes you can in the right soil. We have quite a bit of pasture that has coastal and it is 100% from feeding. Have another place where I've been spreading lots of Klein from feeding bales with seed.

I have also planted quite a few acres by shaking out sprigs by hand. One of my uncles use to sell Jiggs sprigs for planting. He sold gooseneck trailers full both in bales or pitch forked loose.

I think with time you could do it by feeding hay in these areas. My sacrifice field was all bahia and I'd say its half bermuda now. Hand sprigging a few would work too if you are patient.

Cross, the people posting are in areas with 2-3 times they yearly moisture you have, and a carrying capacity of 1AU/2-3 acres, instead of the 25-30 you do. There is no way you are going to spread it feeding hay in your area unless you get a very unusual year with abundant rainfall. All the scenarios I am talking about are because of YOUR area and annual rainfall. It wouldn't mean much for me to tell you what works for me in my climate.

Isomade":27vqir27 said:
Cross, the people posting are in areas with 2-3 times they yearly moisture you have, and a carrying capacity of 1AU/2-3 acres, instead of the 25-30 you do. There is no way you are going to spread it feeding hay in your area unless you get a very unusual year with abundant rainfall. All the scenarios I am talking about are because of YOUR area and annual rainfall. It wouldn't mean much for me to tell you what works for me in my climate.

That is true and we don't get enough rainfall for bermuda to do well here, but in some areas like the lake bottoms, creek bottoms and so on do stay damp and there are a few around
If it ever rains again I have some holes in the creek bottom that stay damp for a long time I may try few sprigs
It may not work but it's cheap to try
I know a guy that put in 20 or so acres of tifton 85 over drip, but it didn't green up till late spring, the hot dry west wind burned it pretty bad and it went dormant early fall
so he gave up on it.
Then there are some up north of me that have midland under pivots that do well.

It'll give me something to gripe about anyway

Latest posts