bergdahl

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who abandoned his post in Afghanistan and was held captive by the Taliban, was charged Wednesday by the U.S. military with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy

M-5":2f3xjb8l said:
That whole deal leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I will not post what I think should be done as it will result in name calling and be very political.
Good thinking, but I think you would be preaching to the choir!

dun":3rk2angw said:
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who abandoned his post in Afghanistan and was held captive by the Taliban, was charged Wednesday by the U.S. military with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy

What does that mean? Collusion??

I think that the guy has been punished enough. No one else has taken a job that they later realized was a big mistake? What if you were threatened with prison for walking away from it?

Luca Brasi":1gmoe6ry said:
I think that the guy has been punished enough. No one else has taken a job that they later realized was a big mistake? What if you were threatened with prison for walking away from it?
You have got to be kidding right , do you not know the details of what happened.

Luca Brasi":1z3zkax6 said:

I don't remember taking an oath of loyalty for any civilian job I have ever held. He's a deserter and we wasted 5 perfectly good talibani's getting the sorry b@stard out of there. He's done us far more harm than good.

Luca Brasi":1r0tpfyt said:
Had that old head up your a$$ a lot longer than I realized. You'd be a good poster boy for birth control. :mad:

red angus 2010":9nsj2mrz said:
dun":9nsj2mrz said:

What does that mean? Collusion??
The desertion charge carries 5 years. The other carried a life sentence. Collusion is a safe bet. Still not enough though

I can assure you, that this "soldier" was very versed in relation to what his job would probably entail, as well as the punishments and risks of trial for violations of the UCMJ long before he left boot camp. He knew exactly, what he was risking the night he walked off his assigned post. There were other less risky ways of dealing with his displeasure and disappointments, and all were legal. He chose otherwise.
Sow the wind--reap the hurricane.

But, I think this whole thing today is a put up deal. He'll undoubtedly be found guilty, but the politicos, perhaps even the CiC's personal reps-- have in all likelihood, already worked out a deal with Army brass behind closed doors. The Army gets to go thru the court martial, but the sentence will be "time served--he's already "suffered" enough".

greybeard":pqcdvyhj said:
I can assure you, that this "soldier" was very versed in relation to what his job would probably entail, as well as the punishments and risks of trial for violations of the UCMJ long before he left boot camp. He knew exactly, what he was risking the night he walked off his assigned post. There were other less risky ways of dealing with his displeasure and disappointments, and all were legal. He chose otherwise.
Sow the wind--reap the hurricane.

But, I think this whole thing today is a put up deal. He'll undoubtedly be found guilty, but the politicos, perhaps even the CiC's personal reps-- have in all likelihood, already worked out a deal with Army brass behind closed doors. The Army gets to go thru the court martial, but the sentence will be "time served--he's already "suffered" enough".
Maybe he will get a sex change on the taxpayers dime as well

Hook":3afp0iik said:
The desertion charge carries 5 years. The other carried a life sentence. Collusion is a safe bet. Still not enough though

"Can" carry a life sentence--it's not mandatory. It can also, depending which of the sub-clauses of Art 99 UCMJ he is found guilty of, carry the death sentence, but that's pretty much off the table since the military hasn't carried out a firing squad execution since the Pvt Slovak thing in WW2. I will be very surprised if it's anything more severe than Dishonorable Discharge, with reduction of rank to E1, and forfeiture of all pay and allowances.
Full text of Art 99 of UCMJ:

10 U.S. Code § 899 - Art. 99. MISBEHAVIOR BEFORE THE ENEMY
Any member of the armed forces who before or in the presence of the enemy—
(1) runs away;
(2) shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;
(3) through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;
(4) casts away his arms or ammunition;
(5) is guilty of cowardly conduct;
(6) quits his place of duty to plunder or pillage;
(7) causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;
(8) willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or
(9) does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;
shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

the underlined part is his way out, and I think that has already all been agreed upon before the court martial even begins-it's why it took so long for the charges to be brought, months after the Army said their investigation was complete.
It's #3 and #9 that will be looked at the hardest.
He'll basically get a slap on the wrist and go about his merry way. :mad: :mad:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitive ... /mcm85.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/mil ... m/bl99.htm

That is one of the allegations, but whether it has a major affect on the legal part of the court martial is hard to say. The court martial panel has restrictions regarding what they can and cannot consider. One of the things they CANNOT consider, nor can Berdsheet's lawyers present, is any previous good service during the "guilty/not guilty phase. Doesn't matter one bit how good he may have been before he left--the charges are for specific violations, and I think all court cases in and out of the military should be this way.
(prior good or bad service CAN be considered in the sentence phase tho)

Luca Brasi":2xujyt7m said:
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: He took a loath to defend this great country with his life and then ran to enemy arms .5 Americans give their lives to get that POS back, He should be put in front of the firing squad. And we have a IDIOT in the oval office that tried to make him a hero plus traded 5 deadly terrorist for his worthless @ss. I'am giving you the benefit . and say that you just woke up from a 3 year coma that you might have been in. Luca that statement you made is exactly why I fear for the future, of this country.

Luca Brasi":3c671qoc said:

I will try to be a bit kinder than some with my response than others. Folks know I am long winded but I got a bit steamed when I read your response - so no promises.

As a now ex-mil guy by about one month and a bit I have to disagree with you. Despite being Canadian, our systems are very similar.

When you stand in front of that officer and swear an oath to uphold your Constitution, you are giving your word of honour - the only thing you will ever truly own from time of realization until time of your death - to do anything you are told to do - as long as it does not violate any military code of ethics.

In other words if the order is legal, moral and ethical - you carry out your duty as you swore to do - for whatever length of time you have signed up for. And yes, you can question that order - however you better be prepared to carry it out if it is indeed a legal, moral and ethical order. And if you do not like it - so be it - you gave your word as a man or a woman.

Unlike police, fire and ambulance, you WILL obey that order. The first responders do not have to follow an order if they chose not to - and their unions will back them. You do not have a union in the military - you only have the man on your left, the man on your right and your personal word of honour. The man on your left and the man on your right are depending upon you and your word of honour.

You have cut the blank cheque to your government - up to and including your life. You will indeed do as you promised - even if it scares you, disgusts you or kills you. Even if the feds cash that cheque - and sometimes they do. You have sworn to do your duty.

No one holds a gun to your head to do this. You admittedly do it free and willingly - of your own choice. No one gave you a knock on the head and "the Queen's schilling" and then "pressed you into service". You VOLUNTEERED your services to your country.

I have personally been in situations where I was in a lot of doo-doo and yet at the same time I knew those SOB's wearing that camo Stars and Bars were there - and if it got worse they would come to help - come h e l l or high water. You have no idea how comforting that was. I always knew I could count on them. I knew they would honour their oath!

As an extension of the government, the military has two jobs - one is to rip the head off of the enemy and schitte down the hole you just made. During peace time it is to train to do the same thing. They can and do, carry out other services but this is their main purpose.

To me if your word is no good then you are not worth spit. Quite frankly I would rather see this guy given back to his unit - give his unit some short 2x4's and let them carry out the discipline. And I could care less about his nationality - be he an American, a Canadian, a Brit or whatever - he is still not worth spit.

Some day - and I hope not - you personally may require the services of your soldiers. I can assure you that you want a strong, well trained, determined and HONOURABLE soldier - someone who might be a pain in the azz when out of uniform but a true representation of the country and the military Code of Honour when he puts that uniform on.

Quite frankly I believe in my heart that your response is indicative of a lack of moral character and moral fibre. I can only hope you have not raised any children to be the same way. If you have you should be ashamed of yourself.

Bez__

Latest posts