Bennett Southside heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
This is my Bennett Southside balancer heifer out of a Carolina Fortune daughter. What do y'all think? First pic is when she was around 2 months old, second and third pic is at 6 months. Sorry for the poor quality pics!

She's real long for a 6 month old heifer. I liked her when she was 2 months old. Her momma has done a nice job and seems to be in good shape.

Commercialfarmer":3g7dsdbs said:
I like her and a lot of balancers that get posted on here. Seems like the breeds compliment each other rather nicely.
CF thanks, I really do like the balancers and I agree that the breeds do compliment each other well.

Air gator":3d2zwipf said:
She's real long for a 6 month old heifer. I liked her when she was 2 months old. Her momma has done a nice job and seems to be in good shape.
Thanks AG, I knew you liked her early on so thought I would give an update.

Ebenezer brings up an interesting point regarding the heifer's femininity. Gelbvieh cattle in general tend to me more rugged than many other breeds (i.e. Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorns, etc.) and may carry a little more leather up front. To some producers, these females aren't pretty enough and don't look as feminine as they prefer. However, I prefer this look to the choke-necked, ultra-clean-fronted females that we see in many Angus, Chi, Shorthorn, etc. herds.

UG":2uxtb0qo said:
Ebenezer brings up an interesting point regarding the heifer's femininity. Gelbvieh cattle in general tend to me more rugged than many other breeds (i.e. Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorns, etc.) and may carry a little more leather up front. To some producers, these females aren't pretty enough and don't look as feminine as they prefer. However, I prefer this look to the choke-necked, ultra-clean-fronted females that we see in many Angus, Chi, Shorthorn, etc. herds.
I am fairly new to all of this. I would be interested to know how much weight everyone puts on femininity as a selection criteria for their females? I would want my Bulls to look like Bulls, but I myself wouldn't put as much weight on the femininity of the females.

southernultrablack,

Good question.

This may sound contradictory to my previous comment, but I still want my Gelbvieh and Balancer influenced heifers to be feminine. They still need to be smoother made, have a feminine head, etc., even though they will oftentimes have more leather up front than our Angus females. Like you, I also want my bulls to look like bulls, not like steers or heifers.

UG":3iuy2u3g said:

I agree! I like powerful cows. They make powerful bulls!

Just an update on my SouthSide heifer. She definitely has a different look than my other cows. She has more hair than most I have,but not extreme, and she seems to have plenty of middle. She should be calving late February.

southernultrablack":zjd40xdt said:
Just an update on my SouthSide heifer. She definitely has a different look than my other cows. She has more hair than most I have,but not extreme, and she seems to have plenty of middle. She should be calving late February.

I like her :D

She looks really good.
On the femininity question. I think a female should LOOK like a female if I expect her to perform like a female. Just my thing. I don't mind a little "leather", but I don't want a "blocky" head of BIG SHOULDERS. Shoulders are major important to me. They should be big butted, big middled, then tapered to a flat front end. I also do not like blocky heads.
Just my two cents.

Latest posts