Belt lacing pin

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Usually use lacing wire on the Titan-laced belts, but replaced one belt with a new one and it came with the steel pin through it from the belt company. Never had the pins in belts, are you supposed to bend the ends on the pins so it can't slide through the lacing? Or do the preformed grooves in the pin hold it in place?

Aaron":1jgj32xf said:
Usually use lacing wire on the Titan-laced belts, but replaced one belt with a new one and it came with the steel pin through it from the belt company. Never had the pins in belts, are you supposed to bend the ends on the pins so it can't slide through the lacing? Or do the preformed grooves in the pin hold it in place?

The belt twisted on the Vermeer Hay roller doing my second cutting. I think the pins were bent. But not sure. Was not my roller but I helped the guy fix it. Seems he took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the end to start it out.

The pins that are notched need to be turned until they will slide out. When put back in they are turned 180 degrees from how they slid in. The notches (in theory) are then keyed so that they lock in place. If you try to bend the end the pin normally breaks.

if its the ones i'm thinking about all you have to do is bend it slightly to keep sliding back out but when the belt is tight the indents will keep it in place. and if IIRC the pin only sticks out a 1/8 or 1/4

dun":2lhx8xam said:
The pins that are notched need to be turned until they will slide out. When put back in they are turned 180 degrees from how they slid in. The notches (in theory) are then keyed so that they lock in place. If you try to bend the end the pin normally breaks.

I don't know what you have but my baler has the pins and once you push them through you can bent a small amount of it down just enough it wont slide out.

dun":2yxe06in said:

x2. Don't try to bend them. They just break. JD uses this system. They just slide in

The last set I put on the pin was long enough to go through the lace but there wasn't very much overhang at all. I don't think you could bend them if you even wanted to. Can't remember where they came from but I know it was a company in AL.

Half my belts have welding rod in them. Seems to work fine. Sposed to change pins every 1000 bales or so anyways aren't you?

Clipper laced belts need the pins bent, or use flexible stranded wire and tuck them back under. There should be a trailing and leading edge, the former has one less clipper on it and tapered ends to the belt to keep from ripping on the guides.

Flexco Alligator and Mato types use a hard pin with alternating relief notches cut to keep it from slipping out. Do as the Grand Poobah says and rotate it with a pair of vise-grips when inserting/removing and don't monkey with the ends.

Latest posts