Hesston Mower Conditioner Drive Belt

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmerDaveo

Reaction score
I have a Hesston 1260 Mower conditioner and when I replaced the knife I noticed the main drive belt had a twist in it but thought perhaps that is by design as the sheaves are on a different plane from one another and the v-belt was a relatively equal sided triangle so figured it may be correct. Then today the main drive belt fell off so I reinstalled it but with no twists. It seemed loose so I tightened it up. After about 20 minutes it broke.

My question is,
1. Any chance it should have these twists in it to align better? Are v-belts ever installed like this? (New belt definitely has a wider flat edge for the top)
2. Could removing the twists caused the break or maybe it was already damaged and that is why it fell off in the first place? This belt has never fell off or broke before and only lasted 20 minutes of cutting after knife replacement but new knife seems to glide easy and not catch.

The pictures below are of the new belt installed with no twists. (Flat side of belt facing up in the sheave) As you can see in the second pic how over a short distance the belt goes from one plane to the next causing the belt to have to change angels. Before it was twisted a 1/3 turn so it lined up better but the new belt does not look designed that way. I can only assume the old one just wore into the even triangle that I found.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
That belt in the picture is not "twisted", that is what it takes to fit on the pulleys.
Yes, that is the new belt with no twists. I am inquiring if I possibly should put a twist in it as it was before it broke. (which would in fact look not twisted as it would come straight off the lower pulley to the upper pulley without having to turn)

Latest posts